Historical evidence from the Reconstruction period and evidence from contemporary events show that being an American means that all citizens of the United States should have rights that protect their safety, humanity, and equality.

Document A, a document from the Reconstruction period, states, “ All persons born or naturalized in the United States . . . are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.”This quotation demonstrates that all citizens of the United States according to the 14th amendment has privileges to property, life, and liberty. In addition, “During Reconstruction, thousands of African Americans were elected to local and state governments throughout the Southern states. In addition, 17 African Americans were elected to the United States Congress from Southern states between 1870 and 1877 ̈

Document D explains, that even though the 13th amendment was passed and outlawed slavery, African Americans were deprived of political, economic, and financial freedom. Although in 1870, when multiples African American men were elected to Congress things began to change. All citizens of the United States should have rights that protect there safety, humanity, and equality, according to the 14th amendment. While somehow US police kill black people at disproportionate rates: Black people accounted for 31 percent of police killing victims in 2012, even though they made up just 13 percent of the US population.

Racial minorities made up about 37.4 percent of the general population in the US and 46.6 percent of armed and unarmed victims, but they made up 62.7 percent of unarmed people killed by police.” It would be one thing if allegations of police abuse were focused on one city, state, or region, but multiple investigations by the media and the US Department of Justice have uncovered patterns of abuse and excessive use of force — particularly against black residents — all over the country.

Image:  https://goo.gl/images/hz844x

CC BY-SA 4.0 American Creed by Winter is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.