I believe that failure is important and should not be viewed poorly. George S. Patton once said, “Success is measured by how high you bounce when you hit the bottom.” We are all going to hit the bottom at some point in our lives but the key is how we respond to that failure. Some people will fail and quit. These people don’t take away anything from the experience and in fact, they only wasted their time. But other people will fail and try again. George S. Patton would say these people are bouncing high. I believe these people will have a greater chance at success than the people who failed and quit and I have a story to prove it.

There was one time in my life when I was at the bottom George S. Patton was talking about in his quote. I used to play hockey and I had hopes of playing in college one day. I had been playing for nine years when my parents sat me down and told me hockey was too much of a commitment and I would have to stop playing. I would consider this a failure because I had spent almost a decade of my life playing a sport just to have it come to an abrupt end right before high school. Of course I was distraught for the next couple of days just like anyone else in my position would be. But I then made a decision that would allow me to “bounce high” according to George S. Patton. I decided to become a ski racer. I joined my high school ski team and learned how to race competitively. I turned out to be pretty fast and made the varsity team my freshman year along with a few other students that were soon to become some of my closest friends. This would not have been the case if I had decided to do nothing after I was forced to quit hockey. I would consider ski team to be a success and I’m very glad I got the opportunity to participate in such a fun sport.

I believe that failure is important and should not be looked down upon and there are many people who have said quotes about failure and I think they would agree with me. We’ve all heard the famous Thomas Edison quote “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” This quote shows Edison turning his 10,000 failures into one big success because he finally discovered how to make a light bulb which is considered to be one of the greatest inventions ever. I don’t believe people will always find success immediately after they fail and that is apparent in the case of Thomas Edison considering it took him 10,000 tries to make a light bulb. But I do believe that people will find success after they fail if they keep working hard because I believe that failure is an important step that will lead to success.

CC BY-SA 4.0 I Believe Failure is a Good Thing by Nick is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.