Dear Dr. Kyla Johnson Trammell:

We are a group of high school students at Life Academy Of Health and Bioscience. We are writing to you because there have been serious incidents of bullying at schools and nothing has been changing. People believe it is just a game but it is not, bullying is dangerous and could lead to suicidal thoughts and possibly children can end up being in hospitals. We checked the OUSD official website where families can get information and searched up “bullying” to see the latest news. The last update about bullying was in 2013 this means that over the past years nothing has been going on at OUSD and no one has brought attention to the issue. This shows that OUSD has stopped being an ally to anti-bullying because they’re not taking responsibility to make a change or help out.

To begin, there has been a lot of bullying going on schools and no one is making an effective movement to target those who bully. A lot of the times people hurt each other because they feel alone and they want to make someone else feel the same way. Shy students are usually the ones who get bullied because they don’t step up or they feel like they can’t trust anyone. We believe that the bullying going on in schools is leading to suicidal thoughts and attempts (https://www.stopbullying.gov/at-risk/effects/index.html). 

Our goal is to prevent our community from any more losses. We believe that schools will benefit from this because their attendance rates will go up and school will become a safe space for students We looked up statistics about bullying and according to the ABC news they said, “According to statistics reported by ABC News, nearly 30 percent of students are either bullies or victims of bullying, and 160,000 kids stay home from school every day because of fear of bullying” (Bullystatistics.org). This issue is showing interpersonal and internalized oppression because it’s between people and when someone gets bullied that person could believe them and could become into internalized oppression. The hope is that our teachers and principals support our decision to add a week of anti-bullying in our curriculum. We seek hope that this will impact not only our schools but schools all over the world. Bullying has been a big issue all over the world and some schools have tried making anti-bullying lessons for their students. Education plays an important role in youth (our) lives. We come to school to get an education, and our parents encourage us to stay in school and we expect the school to be a safe place. EurekAlert! which is a global source for science news, claims “High school students subjected to bullying and other forms of harassment are more likely to report being seriously depressed, consider suicide and carry weapons to school, according to findings from a trio of studies reported at the Pediatric Academic Societies meeting in San Diego.” (EurekAlert!). This quote is talking about highschool students, don’t feel safe because they are getting bullied also they are most likely to get depressed and that can lead to suicide. 

The steps that we are going to be taking first is bringing awareness we will be doing that by putting posters up and posing pictures using the #StopBulling510, we hope that our principle is convinced by our proposal and helps us find time to add a week of anti-bullying lessons. Even if we can’t achieve our goal this year we will continue to our supervisors for support and hopefully, we start next year. We want an anti-bullying lesson for every grade 6-12. 

The support we need is to spread the word because we’re trying to make a movement so that youth can be treated more equally because nobody wants to be hurt, harmed, assaulted, or bullied. Our action measures up with our classroom rubric because it will help students modify their behavior on a school-wide basis. We are confident with our plan because bullying has become an issue at schools but with awareness and speaking to students will reduce bullying and prevent it. Our process/work can be followed by bringing awareness to the community, giving them a stop bullying sticker to show we are against bullying. We will also be doing posters and placing them around our school to show that people care about bullying. Also to show support we will be using the #StopBullying510 to show that we want the bullying to stop in our community.

Lizbet, Karyme, Takeo

MLA ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY

“Bullying and Suicide.” Bullying Statistics, 7 July 2015, www.bullyingstatistics.org/content/bullying-and-suicide.html.

This source is credible because bullying is a strong topic but also because ABC News is a very trustworthy and people look up at the news a lot.“Bullying and Suicide: What’s the Connection?” StopBullying.gov, Department of Health and Human Services, www.stopbullying.gov/blog/2013/12/30/bullying-and-suicide-whats-the-connection.html. There have been deaths caused by bullying, this bullying occurred in schools and very hurtful things were said to cause death. I trust this source because bullying is a strong topic people don’t mess around with it.

NorthShoreLIJ. “Bullying Leads to Depression and Suicidal Thoughts in Teens.” EurekAlert!, 27 Apr. 2015, www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-04/nsij-blt042215.php. This source is credible because it’s a .org. Also because it is global. We trust it because is a trustworthy cite.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Stop Bullying Now by Karyme is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Kendrick 2 months ago

I appreciate you for writing about this topic, bullying is a serious problem in today’s society, this needs to STOP!

2. Melissa 2 months ago

My name is Melissa and I am a sophomore at Oakland Unity High School. I want to start off by saying that I really appreciate the fact that you chose to write about bullying because I know that it’s a subject that many people don’t like to to talk about. I liked how you introduced your schools plan to help bring more attention to try and help stop bullying. But, my question is in the future do you plan on doing something yourself outside of school to further help the cause?

3. Valeria 2 months ago

Hello everyone my name is Valeria, this is a well written article and It shows grate reasons why bullying needs to stop.

4. kelly 2 months ago

This was a great article! and in a good way to get bullying to stop.

5. Carlos 2 months ago

Im Carlos and what I got too say is STOP BULLYING SPEAK UP !!!

6. Jairo 2 months ago

A lot of emphasis and revisiting of the whole “bullying can lead to depression which can lead to suicide” it makes sense to bring a lot of attention to the topic as bullying the second reason for people to become depressed.

7. Reveca 2 months ago

Much appreciation to you for choosing to write about this. This is a topic many student in the OUSD or a part of any school community can relate to.

8. Mitchell 2 months ago

This is a great article and a way to talk about the issue of bullying in schools. I like how the article had included OUSD which is where I apply to and its great that it talks about something I apply to and should be aware of.

9. LUIS MARIN(oakland) 2 months ago

I agree with your post, because there should be more information about bullying in OUSD schools. This is important because I know there has been more bullying in schools that are not recorded. It has been 5years that has not been recorded on the “bullying” and this shocks me because I know that bullying are in the Oakland schools.

10. Maryrose 2 months ago

My name is Maryrose and I’m in 10th grade at Unity High School. I think this was well written and gets people feel that there is still room and more chances to improve community to be a safer place. I have one question being, Why the hashtag? What will the hashtag do to help our community? Overall, I still support you and your ideas.

11. Luis 2 months ago

I want to start off by saying what a good post this is. Not a lot of people like to bring up bullying and discuss how it is a major problem. This is a good way to show how we can stop bullying.

12. Juan 2 months ago

I really agree that now in days people really don’t care about students that get bullied and that’s bad because like you said it damages their head, they think different and want to commit suicide. A question I have is what can we do to make a difference like if no one is paying attention to what happens then there wouldn’t be a point to do anything that why I am asking you what can we do to change everything ?

13. Rivas Fatima 2 months ago

This is a really great article and a great way to show bullying needs to be stopped

14. Kayla 2 months ago

Hello everyone.

My name is Kayla and I am a student at Fremont High School here in Oakland. I just read your project blog post and I have some feedback. I like how you talk about this topic because I see a lot of people getting bully.
    One thing I liked about what you wrote was , bullying is dangerous and could lead to suicidal thoughts. I like how they said they come to school to get education and to be safe.

Something I have a question about is why did you pick this topic.

Thank you for sharing your project!
    Kayla

15. Rigoberto 2 months ago

Hello everyone.

My name is rigoberto and I am a student at Fremont High School here in Oakland. I just read your project blog post and I have some feedback.
    One thing I liked about what you wrote was you guys checked in with the ousd and i like that because i never heard of other school’s checking in with the ousd. And my elementary school and middle school never done that before.

Something I have a question about is what do you mean by spreading words.

Thank you for sharing your project!
    rigoberto

16. brandon 2 months ago

What you said about students getting bullied it is true because they feel alone in the world or they want to suicide themselves or switch schools

• brandon 2 months ago

great job

17. jdl 2 months ago

I love the intro for calling out OUSD for not updating bullying for 5 years. That was a really awesome way to call them out. However, maybe look into what the district does to combat bullying, mention it in your piece, and then claim that it is still not enough action for such an important issue. Saying that the district is no longer an ally in the fight against bullying can open up an opportunity for them to say “well, we are doing x, y, and z!” But to be clear: I love how you mentioned how outdated the last update was. Great observation!

The plan in this piece is great and the hashtag could really take off. I think one way to strengthen it is to make it less spread out throughout the piece; right now some of it is separated by a couple paragraphs.

The whole piece is put together well. I think there are a ton of great facts included.
    The .gov link has solid credibility. Also, good use of emotional appeal when talking about how bullying affects your classmates.

This is a super important issue. Great job!