We live in a world where we are able to choose what we do. From the moment we wake up to the moment we go back to sleep, we make choices. We choose when to wake up, what to wear, where to go, what to eat, who to talk to, and when we want to go back to sleep. Not doing something is also a choice. Not picking where to eat, not talking to anybody, not getting up from your seat: these are all choices too. We make choices every second of everyday. In this day and age, we have more choices than the generations before us did. We have countless ways to spend our day and the number of things we could be doing are overwhelming. These choices which we make in a split second shape our lives and our future. When we choose something, we choose it in the place of another option. We learn to prioritize. We don’t have all the time in the world, even if it seems like that’s the case.

I believe, if we don’t sacrifice for what we want, what we want is going to become the sacrifice. This quote, written by an anonymous person, has motivated me all my life, especially now that I’m older. As we grow up, we have more responsibility to take on which means more choices to make. I’ve realized through experience and unfortunate events that if I don’t pick what I truly want in the long term over small things I want at that very moment, I won’t achieve my goal and obtain what I want. Picking our temptations over goals we’ve been working for prevents us from succeeding in life. Imagine you have been trying to eat healthy and have been exercising for the past month but one day you give into your temptation and lay in bed and snack to your heart’s content. In one day, you ruin the progress you’ve been making throughout that month simply because you chose one time to give in and chose to take a day off.

This has happened to me multiple times and you would think I have learned my lesson but I still make the same mistakes over and over again. It is hard to sacrifice something fun and leisurely for something you know will benefit you in the future. In any of these cases, we don’t sacrifice for what we really want and instead, we end up sacrificing the thing we want the most. We choose to let this be the case even though we know it won’t benefit us. As I have grown up, I have seen this take place in my own life time in and time out. We need to make sacrifices for what we want, even if we don’t want to, so we ensure that what we want doesn’t become the sacrifice.      

Image from: http://www.imamaliascentre.org/interfaith-discussion-sacrifice/

CC BY-SA 4.0 Sacrifice by Srihita is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.