At this point in the play, Desdemona is speaking to her father before the Venetian senate. She has decided that the loves Othello and wants to be with him. She is speaking slowly and with passion. The sequencing of words is deliberate and precise. Desdemona does this to make the audience feel her pure emotion of apprehensiveness. She is having a hard time choosing between her husband and father. I learned that pacing is importance in this passage because it portrays the way she is feeling and thinking. At first, she is sad, but then her sadness turns into her decision to move forward with Othello. Therefore, the pace was slow at first. I also found volume and inflection to be important to my reading of Desdemona. The volume was soft and very little was there even a slight rise in volume except when Desdemona reflected on her mother. The inflection was quite common in my interpretation as Desdemona appears to be worried. Finally, as I performed, I understood all that the character was worried about. I found how Desdemona is extremely sensitive and insightful. She cares for everyone around her which is made apparent by these lines.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Othello Recording by Erica is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.