Dear Jimmy Wales,

My 9th-grade team is writing to you because we share some similarities on fake news. The issue we are fighting again is that the government and citizens are spreading the fake news all around the world and people are believing it. What caused the issue is the government handling and spreading false information. However, they want to hide the real truth and just want to convince us of issues like raise money as fraud and like the Black Lives Matter fake page.

In my opinion us people are harmed by the issue because now we don’t know what to believe.

Some tactics of social change that are on this topic are Marches and Rallies and Civil Disobedience. However, some oppressions that match this topic is ideological and institutional oppression.

My 9th-grade team had decided to make plenty of copies saying “Help Stop Fake News” with an article and we are going to post them all around the school. These posters all around the school should help people see what fake news is and it can help us try to make a point to stop it.

Shania Brown and Sharai Ward

UNKNOWN. “Jimmy Wales.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 6 May 2018, en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Wales. Helps find allies for certain topics. Gives plenty of information on Jimmy Wales.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Letter On Fake News To Jimmy Wales by Shania is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Luz 2 months ago

Hey there Fernando, Sharai and Shania,

My name is Luz Avalos and I agree with what you are all saying. Many people are spreading fake news that it is now hard to know what’s real and what isn’t. The thing with this is that people with a lot of power are also spreading fake news, like you all said the government is spreading fake news everywhere. My question is, how will someone be able to know when some news they are receiving are fake?

2. Abigail 2 months ago

Hello,

I understand how you think some news are fake and I sometimes feel the same but how are we supposed to be sure that the news are fake and that they are hiding something from us? How can you prove your point?

3. Bryahna Alvarez 2 months ago

Hello Fernando (fellow Alvarez), Sharai and Shania,

I think it is awesome that you are reaching out to an actual representative of the social issue you are addressing in your assignment. Fake News has become an overwhelming issue that is taking over our society, especially recently with the post-election climate of the US. Although this is a letter to someone that is aware of the issue of fake news, it does not hurt to include your own evidence and statistics to show that you have knowledge as well. I recognize that you talked about elements of the issue from your own perspective but your argument would be even stronger with sound evidence from credible sources. Providing evidence will show Jimmy that you care about the issue and took the time to research before contacting him. Lucky for you, the course I am currently writing to you from at UCRiverside has dedicated an entire week’s topic to Fake News so here are some resources I thought may be helpful to you:

● McGrew, S., Ortega, T., Breakstone, J., & Wineburg, S. (2017). The Challenge That’s Bigger Than Fake News: Civic Reasoning in a Social Media Environment. https://www.aft.org/ae/fall2017/mcgrew_ortega_breakstone_wineburg
    ● Kristof, Nicholas (2018, February 17). You’re Wrong! I’m Right! https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/17/opinion/sunday/liberal-conservative-divide.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region
    ● Craig Silverman: https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilverman/viral-fake-election-news-outperformed-real-news-on-facebook?utm_term=.uledXKg9A – .rwOnjMBxW
    ● Meyer, R. (2018, March 8). The Grim Conclusions of the Largest-Ever Study of Fake News. https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/03/largest-study-ever-fake-news-mit-twitter/555104/

Please feel free to respond with any clarifications or questions you may have for me. I am happy to help with any further edits and your final product! 🙂

Bryahna Alvarez

4. Angelica 2 months ago

Hi Shania and Sharai,

You have chosen a very interesting and relevant topic! As an ELA teacher, I want to encourage you to go back and look for any varying sentence structure or typos.

I’m a little confused on your statement of the Black Lives Matter page. Do you have evidence of your claim about fraud?

I would like to know more about your posters. You plan to put posters around your school- is your desired outcome to merely make your peers aware of fake news or something more? I would also like to know more about the article you are going to put on the poster- what is it about? Are you including a hashtag with your poster? I think that would be a neat way to get your peers more involved.

Do you plan on making your posters stand out? I know many schools only have black ink, but perhaps think about doing a bubble font where you can color in with marker. Also do you like memes? Memes are a great way to catch someone’s eye.

I’m very excited for you to complete your project!

-Angelica Marigliano