I believe that variety is necessary for a healthy life. We are told that “variety is the spice of life.” I think it is more than just that. My parents always told me, and still tell me, that variety is needed for a satisfying and healthy life. I’ve found this to be true. Whenever I do the exact same thing over and over, I feel much worse. To live a satisfying and healthy life, you need to add variety to your life and change up what you are doing on a regular basis.

To live a healthy life you need to eat a variety of different foods and do a variety of exercises. You shouldn’t just live on meat–fruits and vegetables are just as important. And you need many different vitamins and minerals to stay healthy. Exercise is almost as important as eating. If you don’t exercise you can’t burn off calories that you take in. There are a ton of different exercises you can do and, if you do them correctly, they are all good for you.

People with monotonous lifestyles and jobs seem less happy than people who have jobs that offer different responsibilities every day. No one that I’ve ever known has wanted to have a stale and boring job. People usually want some variety each day, and I think it helps them to stay interested and engaged in their work.

To live a satisfying life, a person needs to enjoy various kinds of entertainment because life becomes less enjoyable when you do the same thing over and over again, even if you start off enjoying it. An example of this is listening to music. I really like a few different songs, but after hearing them over and over, they don’t have the same effect on me. They are not as interesting or enjoyable. This is true with movies and sports and many other things. Variety in entertainment is important.

Adding variety by thinking about the needs or interests of others instead of yourself will make your life more enjoyable too–whether it is your family, friends, neighbors or even strangers. Even if it doesn’t directly benefit you, it is good for the people around you and makes their lives better. For these reasons, I believe that variety is not only the spice of life,  it is also the main course.

CC BY-SA 4.0 I Believe That Variety Is Necessary For a Healthy Life by John is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Tania 5 months ago

Dear John:

I am impressed with your poem, “I believe that variety is necessary for a healthy life” because I did not know or understood the importance of eating different kinds of food, or the benefits it had on my body.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Exercise is almost as important as eating. If you don’t exercise you can’t burn off calories that you take in.” I think this is considerable because you are also talking about the importance of exercising and eating well ,how doing both things help you stay healthy.

Another sentence I loved was: “To live a satisfying life, a person needs to enjoy various kinds of entertainment because life becomes less enjoyable when you do the same thing over and over again, even if you start off enjoying it. An example of this is listening to music. I really like a few different songs, but after hearing them over and over, they don’t have the same effect on me. They are not as interesting or enjoyable. This is true with movies and sports and many other things. Variety in entertainment is important.” This stood out for me because you try to convince people by persuading them,and also give people ideas in how to stay healthy and at the same time stay a little relaxed and not stressed by work.

Your poem reminds me of something that happened to me.One time one of my friends tried on looking up in the internet on how to stay healthy but also how to be relaxed and not stressed, fortunately we did find something that helped her to stay healthy but it was not easy to find things that could help her because back then not much people wrote about how to stay healthy.

Thanks for your writing.

I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I feel like you would help a lot of people with what you know.

2. Nick 7 months ago

John, thank you for your fabulous This I Believe essay. Variation has an important role in determining how healthy or enjoyable our lives are and I like that you use personal examples to back up this claim. You mention music and how listening to the same song over and over makes it less special and you start to lose interest. I also like how your piece gives advice for how the reader can live a better life. You show that doing a variety of exercising, eating a variety of foods, and enjoying various kinds of entertainment can lead to a healthier and better life. I also like how you called variety the “main course” at the end. Great job with your This I Believe essay and I enjoyed reading it.