Dear Undocumedia:

We hope you are striving in your work like always! We are writing to you today because we wanted to bring more awareness to the (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals)DACA. We noticed Undocumedia is a non-profit organization that supports DACA. Additionally, on the Instagram page of Undocumedia, it shows a video of Ivan Ceja a co-founder and executive director talking about helping refugees with needed materials. We believe that DACA holds our community stronger, without it, we will lose a lot of strong people holding us in sync.

The issue we unfortunately face is that the Trump administration is trying to remove DACA, and to defund the Dreamer act, because he’s ICE being more mobile, and going after more immigrants than they did before. One of these scares happened in the Bay Area mainly in Oakland, CA. In this case, the mayor of Oakland, Libby Schaaf released a statement saying, “I learned information from multiple sources, that there is potentially an ICE activity planned in the Bay Area¨(The WashingtonPost.com). This is showing how once trump has become president ICE became more mobile with the immigration of immigrants. This caused Libby Schaaf to release this statement to protect and warn the immigrants of the Bay Area, this caused Trump to respond to Ms. Schaaf and said that Ms. Schaaf is a disgrace, this shows how trump targets any person who is helping the immigrants and how he doesn’t want them to be vocal at all. This is why we believe that with our proposal we can get more and more people talking about this so it becomes a more pressing matter and lead to more change in the way Trump responds to the comments or it can lead to the government to change laws so it will not repeal DACA and keep it. DACA is important to keep because of the number of people it protects and benefit from it,“800,000 young immigrants known as ‘Dreamers’ are currently protected from deportation under DACA”(The New York Times). Trump claims that he will take care of these dreamers and that they do not have to worry anymore and can rest easy. But in reality, they cannot they can still be targeted by ICE and have to constantly live in fear of losing there DACA which can get them kicked out their job, School or just be deported back. In the end, the Trump administration does not care about these dreamers, so we have to speak out and raise our voice to show that we do.

We are highly aware of this amazing non-profit being nationally recognized for directly assisting Hispanic communities, helping students apply for DACA, and providing reliable news of ICE alerts around a designated location. To begin, thy has provided sleeping bags, tents, blankets, jackets, gloves, beanies, hoodies sweaters, food, diapers, and medicine to people who are seeking asylum in the US from the US-Mexican Border. Additionally, helping unapplied students sign up for DACA is such of an impactful but yet beautiful action to do.

As upstanders, we will organize movements to support DACA. For instance, we will

• Bring awareness
  • Wear Nationality or Orange
  • Make Signs
  • Teaming up with Black Lives Matter group
  • Emailing the Principal
  • Getting out Announcements

The steps we will take to make this movement work is getting the word out to others. We will escalate as needed by reaching out to as many people as we can. The support we need to make this movement stronger is talking to a non-profit organization like Undocumedia to share a movement we are trying to create. We are confident in our plan because we have seen Undocumedia share information on their social media pages that support DACA.

Emely, German, and Josue

#FightForDACA

Annotated Bibliography:

Michael. “Trump Moves to End DACA and Calls on Congress to Act.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 5 Sept. 2017,

www.nytimes.com/2017/09/05/us/politics/trump-daca-dreamers-immigration.html

The New York Time is a trusted news source that’s been around for a long time and created it fan bases. This group is a good source for news especially coving the president.

Flynn, Meagan. “Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf Tipped off Immigrants about ICE Raid and Isn’t Sorry She Did.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 28 Feb. 2018, www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/02/28/oakland-mayor-libby-schaaf-tipped-off-immigrants-about-ice-raid-and-isnt-sorry-she-did/?utm_term=.ed2aef810d6a.

The Washington Post is a trustworthy source for news and can be relied on.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Fight for DACA by Emely is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Bladimiro 4 weeks ago

I support your claim and believe all should have an equal chance to make it in a country like the U.S.A which was built off immigrants. There are many reasons why migrants come here such as to pursue better lives, work, family, to get away from problems in their countries and many more. No matter the reason I believe that they should be able to pursue a better life.

2. Valeria 3 months ago

Hello everyone my name is Valeria, I know very well DACA is important to undocumented students from personal experience. The article is very well written and shows how much research had been done.

3. Mitchell 3 months ago

I really liked your topic about DACA citizens and how they are being affected by 45. People should not be going through this with fear and should be able to live their lives like any US citizen. I really like how you stated ways that your going to organize movements to support DACA and make them feel safe.

4. Jennifer 3 months ago

I really appreciate all the information that you provided. It really helps on understanding that DACA is very important to the dreamers because of that help that was provided they have been able to improve their lives in this state. This makes it clear that DACA has also helped many ethnicities and shows how important it is to them

5. Cruz 3 months ago

I really liked your writing and how you explain how donald trump is affecting the Oakland citizens. Will the mayor of Oakland do something defending undocumented citizens in Oakland?

6. Rivas Carlos 3 months ago

Daca is a very important thing for immigrants and their families.

7. Rivas Fatima 3 months ago

This subject is super important to let people know that DACA is important and that undocumented students need to for a better future,

8. Priscilla 3 months ago

Hey guys,

My name is Priscilla and I’m from Unity High School. I really admire how well you guys are explaining DACA. I can see that there has been a lot of research done in efforts to help people understand. What you guys are doing is great and more people should be aware and familiar with it.

9. Astrid 3 months ago

My name is Astrid and I am a student at Fremont High School here in Oakland. I just read your project blog post and I have some feedback.
    One thing I liked about what you wrote was how you guys explained nice and clear what and where things happened. I liked how you used bullet points to show what they have. I liked how you guys are warning people by saying you are using your voice to speak up for those who are scared to. I enjoyed reading it !

Something I have a question about is are you all participating in speaking ? Is your school participating and how will you help those who are scared to speak up not be scared no more?

Thank you for sharing your project!
    Sincerely, Astrid

10. Franqui Perz 3 months ago

Hello everyone

My name is Franqui Perez and I am a student at Fremont High school here in Oakland.I just read your project blog post and i have some feedback.One thing i like about you wrote was that you guys really are good writers and all 3 of you guys did an amazing job.I learned a lot and how undocumented people are being targeted more than ever because of trump.I finally see that the life of a immigrant is hard and you have to go threw a lot of struggles.

Something i have a question about is that does trump have the power to actually remove DACA or not?

Thank you for sharing your project!
    Franqui

• Josue 3 months ago

Yes Franqui Perz, Trump can take away DACA because it was a presidential demand.

11. Jessica 4 months ago

Dear Emely, German, and Josue,
    I hope you are proud of yourselves for the work you have put into writing this letter to Undocumedia. It is clear that you have performed extensive research in order to write this letter. I learned more about the struggles of the undocumented and the immigrants living in the U.S. by reading your letter. There are many strong features of your letter: connecting your topic to your community, recognizing the importance of the views of political figures, critical thinking towards the comments made by political figures, demonstrating knowledge of your audience and their work in this issue. It would be great if you can strengthen your letter by exploring how the actions of Undocumedia have aided the undocumented and/or immigrants living in the U.S. Also, you can improve your action plan by explaining how these actions would support DACA. For example, what other activist groups have used the tactics you have listed and what was the impact? Overall, this was a great letter and I enjoyed reading it.
    Jessica

• Josue 3 months ago

Thank you Jessica for the critical feedback that you gave us, it really does help. Most importantly, what we are trying to do is to bring awareness on how DACA is important to hispanic people but not only hispanic folks, many other ethnicities that are not recognized by the media. We are painting a mural that states, “Migration is beautiful” in different languages.