Dear Life Academy Parents,

We are writing to all parents of the school Life Academy. Our goal is educating families on how to take care of their kids/themselves. Drinking while driving has been a huge issue in the world.

The issue is that people are drinking and driving because of this it cause many injuries and death; especially towards teens because as a teen many take information/items as a joke and wouldn’t really care probably because they don’t know much information about this issue. In 2013 over 28.7 million people admitted to drinking and driving. In that article by MADD NO MORE VICTIMS it states, that 28.7 million is more than the population in Texas. In the article: it states, that teen alcohol use kills, which in that case is more than all illegal drugs combined and lastly it causes many traffic crashes.(SADD) What causes this issue is teens doing whatever they want and not following the rules. When teens get the chance to drive they wouldn’t think about it because teens wouldn’t take many things seriously as grown up. There has been an estimate that there are 300,000 incidents a day. Adults drink too much and drive about 121 million times per year – or more than 300,000 incidents of drinking and driving a day. 100 deaths a year That’s 29 deaths every day and one death every 50 minutes. Each and every one of them 100%preventable.290,000 injuries per year 290,000 injuries per year mean exponentially more friends, family members and loved ones unnecessarily impacted by this preventable crime.(SADD)

Drinking and driving have been an issue throughout the years and has gotten worse, because of this there are a lot of deaths and accidents going on. There’s an organization for mothers, there’s also protests against drinking and driving, lastly, there’s also news going around. This tactics of social change have been successful but not 100% because there’s still drinking and driving and people who don’t care about the issue. Some things that have been successful are people have changed their mind about knowing that drinking and driving are bad and not what they thought, people are putting more attention about their surrounding (people walking and people who are driving) to be safe. Lastly, there has been some streets where there was a lot of deaths and the amount people who got kill almost every month lower down which its something really good.

Our plan’s to let parents and youths, whoever drives from Life Academy know all problems that someone drunk while driving can cause. The steps we would take are first to put an advisory announcement for all high school students on the slides from a teacher in Life Academy name Ms.Matsui shares to know about the issue. Also, there’s a meeting every Wednesday for parents so we would get one Wednesday and concerned parents for them to take more care of their child’s and other families members who like to drink but also drive. Our group believes that the only support we need is just people’s attention, make sure Matsui knows about our plan for the slide to be shown.   Our action measure up on the class rubric by having evidence of what drinking and driving causes and trying to make a change in the world. We are confident by our work because as families heard from the issue they would care more about the issue because no one would like to pass by any big problems (death) as some people are facing right now.

#STOPDRINKINGWHILEDRIVING

#STOPACCIDENTS

#LIFEACADEMY

#UPSTANDER

Follow our hashtag to come to consensus!!!!  

Annotated Bibliography

“EMPOWER. ENGAGE. MOBILIZE. CHANGE.” SADD, www.sadd.org/. This websites shows/talks about how many deaths, injuries, and incidents there is per day because of the issue of drinking and driving. Which it’s really helpful for our case because it’s really good evidence to show to people and youth for everyone to be aware of what its happening. This website talks about issues a lot of teens pass by mainly drinking and driving and explaining how there can be a change for teens.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Stop Drinking and Driving by Leslie Gomez Torres Thomas Loera Martinez is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. kevin 4 months ago

my name is kevin and i am from oakland unity high school and something I like about this would be that you used a lot of evidence and a question i got would be how else can you bring awareness

2. Dante 4 months ago

Hello,
    My name is Dante and I am from Oakland Unity High, I like this article because it is very powerful, I also liked how you wrote a lot about this topic so you can get this message out to everyone. I want to ask a question and want to know if it’s okay, has something like this happen to you before with a family or friend?

3. Jeff Cruz 4 months ago

My name is Jeff and I am from Oakland Unity High School something I liked about this article is how you put many statistics about the deaths of drunk driving. A question I have is do you think only parents are affected by drunk driving or other ages to ?

4. LaDaysha 4 months ago

Hello,
    My name is LaDaysha and I think this is a great and important topic that should be address better.I think that you should go into more detail about your plan.A question I have is how do you think the best way to stop this madness?.I like the fact you added statics and data.

5. Norberto 4 months ago

Hello my name is Norberto Something that i like about this blog was that the author gives a lot of evidence and explained it really good I also like how you are doing information meetings a question that I have for you is that why did you decide to write about this?

6. Miriam 4 months ago

Hello,
    My name is Miriam. What I liked about your post is that you’re talking about things that need to change.I also like how you’re doing info meetings about drinking and driving. One question, why did you decide to write about this?

7. Erik 4 months ago

I think what made this article very powerful and influential is that you give a lot of accurate and precise evidence.One thing I would change is that we want more of your opinion and also that you have to dive in more deep in the topic.

8. Fahar 4 months ago

Hello everyone.

My name is fahar and I am a student at Fremont High School here in Oakland. I just read your project blog post and I have some feedback.
    One thing I liked about what you wrote was that you used good detail and you supported your claim with good evidence. And i also like how you talked about how the issue has gotten worse over a long period of time

Something I have a question about is what do you think about this .

Thank you for sharing your project!
    fahar

Velvet 4 months ago

Hello Fahar,
      Thank you for reading our post we really appreciate it. Thank you for the feedback that you gave us.
      To your question honestly what I think about this topic is that it is wrong because not only the person drinking and driving is getting hurt, but the people around them are also getting hurt. Itś selfish in general because when there is someone is drinking and driving, they make the choice to put themselves in danger by driving and the people around them too. This also increases the deaths, and accidents going all around the world.

9. Esmeralda Maldonado 4 months ago

Wow awesome topic! The statistics information make your blog very powerful. I am curious about the deaths rate. Is it 1000 a year or 100? How else could you bring awareness to parents and what other things can they do to stop people from driving intoxicated?

10. Veronica 4 months ago

I think this is a great topic! Feel free to dive deeper into your plan. Specifically, you mentioned you would make announcements and host meetings. What specific information will you provide? How do you think this could influence people to stop driving while intoxicated?