Dear Alameda County Social Services:

We are choosing to write to you because we want better health and mental care for the children in foster cares. We looked into your website and we noticed that the services provided for the children in foster care may not be enough. Especially for children who have been in the system for a longer period of time. The issue is that there are not enough mental health services in a foster care. The children in the foster care are by this because when they are going through something as drastic as not having or feeling like they don’t have a family a therapist is needed. Did you know According to national statistics provided by Arrow, “40 to 50 percent of those children will never complete high school. Sixty-six percent of them will be homeless, go to jail or die within one year of leaving the foster care system at 18″(Arrow).This matters can connect back to the lack of mental and emotional support that is not provided in the foster care.One way that we can help improve this is by continuing to educate people. Education and knowledge is power and all have the power to help.

The effects on the community is that the children that are not being adopted grow to have anger and hatred towards the community and or themselves. As well as when dealing with a patient or child that has been in the foster care system for a long time they tend to not want the help anymore because they feel helpless. When there is a lack of mental and emotional assistance it can cause issues with the children in the foster care system. Overall we believe that the foster care systems need more mental health care in their foster homes to help improve the mental state of the children in the foster care. The workers in the foster care because they don’t have to pay for the therapist. The level of oppression is ableism and ageism. This is true because when a minor tries to advocate for help they’re seen as needy or selfish. Furthermore, they are not listened to because of their age, they think that they don’t know what they want because they’re young. The reason why this argument may be flawed is that only the child can know what they need and its negligence of an adult to ignore the needs of a child under his or her supervision.

There are many organizations and movements that already exist for Foster Youth. We found: “The first child movement.” We got this from a website called “HuffPost” It was talking about how the government uses more money to fund the military and not that much to be helping the children in the foster cares. This matters because it sucks how the government should be more worried about the kids that are in foster care. They are America’s future because they are the next generation. It didn’t work. People were more aware of the problem but there was no change so nothing changed sadly.

Sincerely, Kaly Guerrero, Alex Tum, and Kayla Quinteros.

“Federal and State Reporting Systems.” The National Incidence Study (NIS) – Child Welfare Information Gateway, www.childwelfare.gov/topics/systemwide/statistics/childwelfare-foster/. This source is credible because they give valid information about foster care and how the statistics impact the and the community. As well as how can we as a community help out our local foster care.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Children in Foster Care Deserve Better Mental Health Support by Kayla is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Wendy 2 months ago

Well hearing this from you makes me feel that there’s still people out there who care about all those kids who are under foster care. Thanks for putting this issue out there and making a difference through your writing. I also loved how you backed up your claim with real evidence and making that clear. I strongly advise you to keep doing what you’re doing. Good job!

2. Jessica 2 months ago

Hi my name is Jessica I go to Unity High School. Something I really liked about your article is that this topic is really interesting it really got my attention because I never thought of the problem it is for kids. A question I have for you is what made you interested in this topic?

3. Mitchell 2 months ago

This topic had caught my eye and I truly feel sorry for those in foster care and have to got through things that a child shouldn’t be. Hopefully in the future or even sooner people take this topic on matter of hands and create more mental health services available for children in foster care.

4. Claudia 2 months ago

I really like the topic you chose because not a lot of people like to talk about this topic. something that i really liked that you talked about was ” The effects on the community is that the children that are not being adopted grow to have anger and hatred towards the community and or themselves. As well as when dealing with a patient or child that has been in the foster care system for a long time they tend to not want the help anymore because they feel helpless.” I agree with you because they see kid other people with mom and or dad and they get mad because they never had theirs. I also agree that they should have better health and mental care for the kids in foster.

5. Glenda 2 months ago

This is a topic that I recently have began to think about and have looked into it, I feel you did a great job explaining how exactly the system works. I agree with your thoughts and how these kids can be provided with a lot more help than they are. You made your argument pretty clear but I think your writing could have been “stronger” if you would have explained how this is important to you or if you would have made a connection.

6. Valeria 2 months ago

Thank you for sharing.

7. Monica 2 months ago

That is a deep topic it concerned me alot especially the fact that these kids like you said need a therapist due to what they are going through. What inspired you to write about this topic?

8. Monica Martinez 2 months ago

Hey Kayla , Alex and Kaly ,
    My name is Monica and I am a student at Fremont High School here in Oakland. I just read your project blog post and I have some feedback.
    One thing I liked about what you wrote was the way you explained that some children are not getting the right Foster Care and spoke about the way they are struggling . Also I liked how you guys found a child movement .

Something I have a question about is would it help if you guys met some children that are in the Foster Care ?

Thank you for sharing your project!
    -Monica

9. Long 2 months ago

Hello everyone.

My name is Long Nguyen and I am a student at Fremont High School here in Oakland. I just read your project blog post and I have some feedback.
    One thing I liked about what you wrote was that you explained exactly how foster care kids are affected which intrigued me greatly. You also explained why and how they aren’t getting enough help which I did not know that before.

Something I have a question about is that out of all the topics you guys could of done what made you guys want to write a topic about children in foster care?

Thank you for sharing your project!
    Long Nguyen

10. Kiyah 2 months ago

Hello everyone.

My name is Kiyah and I am a student at Fremont High School here in Oakland. I just read your project blog post and I have some feedback.
    One thing I liked about what you wrote was how you explained the outcome and behaviors of those in foster care. I also liked how you mentioned that the military is funded more than kids in need. Your project blog digs deeper into the experiences and oppression of a young foster child, not being accepted and their voices not being heard.

Something I have a question about is what made you choose to write about this specific topic? What about it interests you?

Thank you for sharing your project!
    Kiyah

11. Liliana N. 3 months ago

Hello Kayla, Alex and Kaly!

I love your topic as I feel that as an educator, mental health for children/students is often time overlooked. In your blog post, you discussed how there are not enough mental health services available for children who are in foster care which is absolutely correct. Your group stated, “This is true because when a minor tries to advocate for help they’re seen as needy or selfish”.

My question for you is this:

Is there a specific political group or mental health group or politician who foster children can align themselves with to help push their agenda?