Dear Mayor Schaaf:   

Hello, our names are Xin and Nakiah. We are 9th graders at Life Academy High School in Oakland. As Oakland citizens and students we care about our health and safety.  We are writing to you, Mayor Schaaf, because we want you to be our ally and we want you to help us make a change in Oakland schools. We were wondering about your opinion on gun violence in schools and what we can do together to help it?  We don’t want what happened in Florida to happen here in Oakland.

We feel very strongly that gun violence is caused by mental health issues from a person with built up anger. One reason we feel like this because shooting in schools have happened all around the world and more than 210,000 student shave experienced this issue (Analysis | More than 200,000 Students Have Experienced Gun Violence at School since Columbine). This issue has been tremendous in Oakland and it has affected the community because people start to feel unsafe in school. An article called “What Mental Health Experts say to their Kids about Shooting“ shows that “These shootings and their aftermath leave many parents scrambling for words: How can you possibly explain gun violence to your kids and how to do you talk about it?”(Spector). Families don’t feel safe in school anymore because of all the shooting that happened in school. We believe no one benefits from shootings, so we need to stop them. This issue has been affecting the safety of students and family also the teachers.

We know that we are not alone in this fight for safety and changes for less gun violence in schools. For example, after Parkland’s shooting a walkout was planned by students in respect and honor of those kids that were killed. People from the school and around the school and even community members stood outside for 17 minutes for the 17 students that were killed (Schallhorn). In addition, there was a march for stricter laws for gun violence because people feel like as a law enforcement crew they should enforce the law harder. Kids are traumatized by this and they feel like they don’t need to go to school because it might happen again (Krieg). Both a walk out and a march has been used already, but they have not created change yet. We feel something more can still happen.

Our plan for Oakland and our movement against gun violence in schools are to help our school be aware at all times. At Life Academy, we do Monday announcements and in those announcements, we are going to walk around the school on Thursday ( May 10, 2018) during afternoon advisory and we will explain to the students about gun violence in school. As we inform them about the gun violence we will then ask them if they would like to help bring awareness and they can write letters to you, Mayor Schaaf because you are empowered in our community. Also, on Friday ( May 11, 2018) we will be wearing orange and white because orange is the color that supports gun violence.

In conclusion, we hope that you would consider being an ally of ours in bringing awareness because we feel like as the Mayor you would be a great person that we can turn to and make a change. Gun violence is never expected and no one will ever be able to handle this. So, to prevent this, please help us raise the awareness for the specific problem.

Follow us at #Violenceschool

Nakiah and Xin

“Analysis | More than 200,000 Students Have Experienced Gun Violence at School since Columbine.” The Washington Post, WP Company, www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/local/school-shootings-database/?utm_term=.467e44c055d8.       

The article is about all the shooting all over the world and how many shooting was there. This source is credible because Washington It is the largest newspaper published in Washington, D.C., the capital city of the United States, and has a particular emphasis on national politics.

Krieg, Gregory. “You’ll Know the Gun Control Movement Is Winning When…” CNN, Cable News Network, 26 Mar. 2018, www.cnn.com/2018/03/26/politics/how-to-know-parkland-gun-control-movement-is-winning/index.html.

This article shows that people not just want to take away gun people want to regulate them.  This source is credible because Krieg Gregory is a New York-based reporter at CNN Politics.

Schallhorn, Kaitlyn. “National School Walkout Planned by Students Worldwide after Parkland Shooting.” Fox News, FOX News Network, 14 Mar. 2018, www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/14/national-school-walkout-planned-by-students-worldwide-after-parkland-shooting.html.

This video is showing that National school is planned for a walkout they want to make a change on gun violence. This is  a credible source because kaitlyn schallhorn was graduation in Worcester College and it was one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in England.

“What Mental Health Experts Say to Their Kids about School Shootings.” NBCNews.com, NBCUniversal News Group, www.nbcnews.com/better/health/how-mental-health-experts-talk-their-kids-about-school-shootings-ncna845586.

This article shows that because of the shooting many parents scrambling for words: How can you possibly explain gun violence to your kids and how to do you talk about it? This source is credible because it is from NBC News, a national news station that provides information to all of the people that watch it.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Gun Violence by Nakiah is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Kendrick 1 month ago

Definitely should be more awareness about gun laws and gun violence in the U.S. Thank you for sharing.

2. kevin 2 months ago

hello everyone,

my name is kevin and i am from oakland unity high school and something I liked about this essay was that you explained everything about gun violence and a question that I had to ask was why did you pick to speak about gun violence?

3. Valeria 2 months ago

Thank you for sharing.

4. Bryan 2 months ago

Your blogpost was very interesting and captivating, especially due to all of the violence occuring in school and around the country.

5. Daniel 2 months ago

What is another action you can take against gun violence. I feel strongly about how you said that over 200,000 students have experienced a school shooting because school shootings aren’t something that should happen.

6. LUIS MARIN(oakland) 2 months ago

Being that there has been a lot of school shootings around the United States is an important topic because it makes schools aware that they should take caution. I know that my school does its best to protect our school, but I feel that you make valid points.

7. Norberto 2 months ago

Hi Nakiah and Xin my name Is Norberto and I like how you think that we should not have any of this type of violence i was also really impressed of how its really well written and also because this was a way of motivating people or the community to not give up and stand up and speak out that’s why i liked your blogpost

8. Alfredo 2 months ago

Hi my name is Alfredo Diaz and i really like how you said how gun violence gives mental issues.Why do you think this important.

9. Jimenez Noe 2 months ago

What else can be done to stop gun violence?

10. Jimenez Noe 2 months ago

What a good way to protest

11. Gabriel F. 2 months ago

hello, I would like to say that this letter has some very powerful words, gun safety is very important and I like how you tackled the problem. one question that I would like to ask is what else do you think people could do to help.

12. Juan 2 months ago

What I liked about this was that they are motivating people (community) to not give up and stand up and speak out. My question is how can you actually make a change ?

13. Rivas Carlos 2 months ago

This has become like a trend happening almost every month.

14. Ignacio 2 months ago

Nakiah and Xin, This is a well written.Your citing was clear, evidence was clear not hard to notice. “This issue has been tremendous in Oakland and it has affected the community because people start to feel unsafe in school”. I feel like we can all connect to this because were in Oakland and a lot of people are feeling unsafe of going to school because of school shootings.

15. Dina 2 months ago

Hello everyone.

My name is Dina and I am a student at Fremont High School here in Oakland. I just read your project blog post and I have some feedback.
    One thing I liked about what you wrote is that it was clear and understandable.

Thank you for sharing your project!
    Dina garcia

16. Duriel 2 months ago

My name is Duriel Fortenberry and I am a student at Fremont High School here in Oakland. I just read your project blog post and I have some feedback.

One thing I liked about what you wrote was how parents are affected by the aftermath of gun violence. It shows that there are other people affected by gun violence.

Something I have a question about is where will your school be protesting.

Thank you for sharing your project!
    Duriel

17. Juan 2 months ago

Hello everyone.

My name is Juan and I am a student at Fremont High School here in Oakland. I just read your project blog post and I have some feedback.
    One thing I liked about what you wrote was you put other perspectives besides the students about a school shooting like how the families would feel.

Something I have a question about is how long did it take to find all this information about school shootings.

Thank you for sharing your project!
    Juan

18. Juana 2 months ago

Hello everyone.

My name is Juana and I am a student at Fremont High School here in Oakland. I just read your project blog post and I have some feedback.
    One thing I liked about what you wrote was, that you really explained how you guys don’t want gun violence here. I also liked how you stated the sources where you got your information.

Something I have a question about is, for the walk out where are you guys going to go or is it just protesting outside of your school?

Thank you for sharing your project!
    Juana M

• Xin 2 months ago

Hello juanu the walk out was just in side our school and put fears in our school also pass it out.

19. Natasha Zabat 2 months ago

Hello Nakiah and Xin,

I was so impressed by your letter to Mayor Schaaf! It’s so thoughtful and well-written. I don’t have many improvements or questions.

I honestly kind of feel useless. Sorry I couldn’t help more, but you should be so proud of your work!

Natasha

20. John 2 months ago

Nakiah and Xin, Wow this is really well written. You cite your sources really well and you invited the mayor into the conversation and ask that he be an ally. One thing to clarify would be if you want his opinion or if you want his help to make change.

Great job and best of luck!

21. Liliana N. 2 months ago

Hi Nakiah and Xin,

I loved your blogpost! It was really eloquent and well written. My favorite part was when you brought up parents in the dialogue for guns and school violence/safety. All I have to say is to continue writing and continue reaching out to your representatives and advocate for yourselves, the issues you care about and your community! 🙂