Dear Business Owners:

Did you know that in most cases, women get paid less than men? For example, for every dollar that a man gets paid, women get paid 79 cents. But, depending on race as well, women get paid even less. Black women earn 60 cents and Hispanic women get paid 55 cents (The Washington Post). We have chosen the topic of equal pay because it is a topic that isn’t really known, but affects many people in the United States, especially women. More specifically, we have chosen to write to YOU all because you control how much your employees get paid, and isn’t unequal pay a little bit, well, unequal? There shouldn’t be differences in pay based on gender, since women endeavor, if not endeavor more than men. Everyone knows that times right now are different, and that viewpoints are finally equalizing, So why not help out and finally end racism and sexism? Equal pay won’t end sexism, but it can for sure help end sexism by not making women seem irrelevant. A target that we have in this fight for equal pay is business owners, since they have the power to change the salaries of their employees. Although business owners can have the most change, people with power can influence business owners, changing their decisions. An example of how unequal pay is between men and women is how much women are paid compared to men. The article explains, “In 2015, Emily Schuerman discovered, by accident, that she was getting paid the same salary as her lower-ranking male assistant.” (The Christian Science Monitor). The quote is significant because it shows how Emily, who is someone of a higher rank in the job where she works, is getting paid the exact same as her subordinate assistant. This shows how the business’ owners think of how to pay their employees, paying women less because they have “less power,” connecting to the Hegemonic Ideology mentioned earlier. To conclude, equal pay is an issue that can be resolved through business owners, since they have the choice to change salaries. Equal pay will also resolve some sexism, since the viewpoints of almost everyone are changing, especially in 2018. It is irrelevant that there is still discrimination in 2018.

The issue that is going on right now is that women get paid less than men when they work the same which only causes more sexism. What caused the issue was the idea that men are better than women. The oppressed group are women and especially women of color. The community believes that what is happening is ok and that what women get paid is enough. Men and people that own the job benefit from this inequity. The levels of oppression are ideological and institutional because it is an idea that men should be paid more than women and the government is fine with this idea. The allies are men and the opponents are women who don’t get paid the same as how men get paid. Now there is an act that says that employers can’t justify paying women less than men. This act is called the Equal Pay Act. An article written by Danielle Paquette explains, “A federal appeals court ruled Monday that employers cannot justify paying a woman less than a man doing similar work because of her salary history – a move advocates say will help close the wage gap between the sexes”(Paquette). This proves that there is no explanation that women get paid less than men. This is called discrimination against women. Another example is why women are discriminated against is, “Feminists have made the workplace worse by waging an ideological campaign to portray working women as a victimized class, discriminated against in pay and persistently preyed on by male oppressors”(O’Beirne). This quote also proves that women get degrade because of this ideological. It is a belief that they have gained from past ancestors. It is a belief that men are better than women because both can do the same work which deserves the same payment. Equal payment is necessary to stop this ideology and help stop sexism.

There have been movements in the past to try to make a change for equal pay. An example is a movement that happened in 1883. An article explained, ¨In 1883, communications across the country ground to a halt when the majority of the workers for Western Union Telegraph Company went on strike¨(Alter). This quote proves that there have been issues with equal pay since the 1800’s. There are still fights for this issue going on today. There are still people that want justice for women because they deserve the same pay as men. Furthermore, another example of another movement that has been going on is from 2014 and 2018. The article explains, ¨On Tuesday, April 10, 2018, Americans come together to raise awareness for Equal Pay Day, which was launched by the National Committee on Pay Equity (NCPE). In 2014, just five years after President Obama signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, Republicans blocked a bill called the Paycheck Fairness Act, which would make it illegal for employers to penalize employees who discuss their salaries and would require the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to collect pay data from employers (Morad)”. This quote proves the point that the discrimination against women has been going for a long time and the fight against this is still going on to this day. Meaning Equal pay has still not passed since many of us, mostly women, are still fighting for it.

Our plan is to create slides to teach the middle schoolers about unequal pay and then give them a survey to see what they learned about our presentation. Along with the presentation, we will also be joining 6 other teams that are handling different issues like ours to have a week of movement. That means that in a week, each day we will wear a different color of clothing that supports our cause, for example, equal pay will be purple/white and Black Lives Matters will be yellow/black.

In conclusion, to raise awareness about equal pay, we will present to 5 middle school advisories and show them why it matters, and how we can change it as students.

If you will like to become a proponent of our proposal and want to support us, please follow us on the hashtag #equalpayproposal.

Annotated Bibliography

Alter, Charlotte. “Equal Pay Day: Here’s the History of the Fight for Equal Pay for Women.” Time, Time, 14 Apr. 2015, time.com/3774661/equal-pay-history/

This source is about what the government has done in the pass to make sure that everyone gets paid the same. This source is credible because it is a recent article that includes a lot of great evidence about the past and equal payment.

“Equal Pay & the Wage Gap Archives.” NWLC, nwlc.org/issue/equal-pay-and-the-wage-gap/.

This article explains the issue and what are some things that we can do to try to solve this issue. This also explains how much more men get paid than women. This source is credible because it is asking for help from the community in order to create a change. It also educates the community about the issue and what can be done to fix the issue.

Gillin, Joshua. “MARCO RUBIO CALLED EQUAL PAY FOR WOMEN ‘A WASTE OF TIME,’ PATRICK MURPHY SAYS.” Tampa Bay Times [St. Petersburg, FL], 18 Oct. 2016. Opposing Viewpoints In Context, http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A467289221/OVIC?u=oak_335&sid=OVIC&xid=adf4f341. Accessed 1 May 2018.
This source

“On Equal Pay Day, How Far Have We Come?” NBCNews.com, NBCUniversal News Group, www.nbcnews.com/know-your-value/feature/equal-pay-day-how-far-have-we-come-ncna864471.

This article is about equal pay and it specifically it talks about some strikes that people went on for equal pay justice. This source is credible because the main topic is talking about equal pay and how the white house or government would disagree or agree with equal pay justice that people want.

Paquette, Danielle. “It’s 2016, and Women Still Make Less for Doing the Same Work as Men.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 8 Mar. 2016, www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/03/08/its-2016-and-women-still-make-less-for-doing-the-same-work-as-men/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e43ee8fa0aa4.

This article speaks about the differences between men and women, specifically speaking about the gender pay gap. The article was written during International Women’s Day when the author got an email speaking about how women will never get paid the same as men. This source is credible because it is from the Washington Post, a cite that has been proved credible. Also, the article references their sources, proving that they are not plagiarizing and shows that their evidence is credible.

Velasco, Schuyler. “To narrow gender pay gap, one state tries something completely new.” Christian Science Monitor, 6 Aug. 2016. Opposing Viewpoints In Context, http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A460090420/OVIC?u=oak_335&sid=OVIC&xid=f0862f12. Accessed 1 May 2018.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Equal Pay Proposal by Guadalupe is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Marjorie 3 months ago

Hi Guadelupe, Anthony and Nathan,

I really enjoyed reading your posting on the inequality in pay. I liked the fact that you had done extensive research complete with facts and statistics. If only the businesses would listen but as you write, “The levels of oppression are ideological and institutional because it is an idea that men should be paid more than women and the government is fine with this idea”.
    The US is a capitalist country so the government keeps a hands-off approach to business operations. However, they do get involved when they want to like in cases of strikes or bailouts but they are quite ineffective in areas of inequality and discrimination. There are laws in place but the violations like pay inequality benefits those in power so they are not quick to change the situation.

Keep researching and keep writing; let your voices be heard. Change will come – One Day!

Thank you for your contribution.

Marjorie

2. Annae 5 months ago

One thing I liked about your writing s how clear you state you reasons and examples. I agree with you, I don’t think one person should not be paid less than the other because of the gender.

3. Stephanie 5 months ago

Hello everyone.

My name is Stephanie and I am a student at Oakland Unity High School. To start with, I would like to say that all of you did a really good job with this subject. You really did your research, to the point that you talked about the problem from the past and connected it to the present. I also like how you all would want to make a change and how you have a layout of how you will get this information spread out for others to learn. A question that I have is, what 5 middle schools do you have in mind to present at?

Thank you,

Stephanie

4. Valeria 5 months ago

Thank you for sharing.

5. Reveca 5 months ago

This is an issue that I too am passionate about, it was more personalized because all of you choose to include how you would personally make a change.

6. Bryan 5 months ago

Dear Group People,

I respect what you trying to accomplish but I have to say that it’s all for nothing.
    I know you’re trying to give women equal pay, but news flash It already is.
    You probably found about how on average men make more than women, but that is only because when given the choice women won’t work overtime and would stay home to take care of their child.
    Please get your facts straight

The commentor

ps. didn’t wanna seem harsh just a critique comment, also
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/karinagness/2016/04/12/dont-buy-into-the-gender-pay-gap-myth/#580428892596

There’s more links to more information but I don’t feel like sharing it.

7. katerine iraheta 5 months ago

Hello everyone!

My name is Katerine Iraheta and I am a student at Fremont High School here in Oakland. I just read your project blog post and I have some feedback.
    One thing I liked about what you wrote was that your guys gave a lot of thought and effort to this work. There is a lot of evidence towards what you are trying to state. I, as a Latina female totally agree with the statements that your project is about. You guys should keep up the good work that you are putting out there.

Something I have a question about is What is the reasons why you guys are inspired on this topic?
    Thank you for sharing your project!
    Katerine

• Anthony 5 months ago

Dear Katerine,
      Thank you for your reply, and thank you for your feedback. All of these comments give us more thought about why we are doing this, and why this topic is more significant than what it seems. To answer your question, we are inspired by this topic because, as I stated earlier, it isn’t that well known. Some people do know about this issue, but for those who don’t, which can be the middle schoolers, we can spread awareness. The more people that know of this issue, the more people can be supportive and the more this movement can be successful. I am not sure about my teammates, but that is one of the main reasons as to why I, personally, want to spread awareness on this issue. If you so wish, you can ask my teammates about their inspirations to see all of our reasons. Once again, thank you for all of your feedback!

Anthony

8. Jane 5 months ago

Hello everyone.

My name is Jane and I am a student at Fremont High School here in Oakland. I just read your project blog post and I have some feedback.
    One thing I liked about what you wrote was that you guys put a lot of facts and quotes and you also included what other people said about the subject. I liked how you guys were or are so passionate about what your blog is about.

Something I have a question about is what will you do to raise more awareness to equal pay?

Thank you for sharing your project!
    Jane

Guadalupe 5 months ago

Dear Jane,
      First of all, I want to thank you for you comment. I would like to answer your question. What we are going to to raise more awareness to equal pay is present our proposal to other adults in a presentation that we have Wednesday, May 16. There will be many adults coming to our school and we will explain what we believe.
      I have a question for you, what do you believe can be done to create a change about equal pay?
      Thank you for your comment,
      Guadalupe

9. Javier 5 months ago

Hello everyone.

My name is Javier Hernandez and I am a student at Fremont High School here in Oakland. I just read your project blog post and I have some feedback.

One thing I liked about what you wrote was that you were showing the differences between the salaries of men and women even if they have the same job. Another thing I liked about your post is that you showed that women get payed even less depending on their race, you showed me something new today.

Something I have a question about is why do you think that women get paid less than men do?

Thank you for sharing your project!
    Javier Hernandez

Guadalupe 5 months ago

Dear Javier,
      My name is Guadalupe Quintero and I am a 9th grade student at Life Academy. I want to thank you for your comment. I would like to answer your question. I think that women get paid less because men believe that women are weak and that they can’t do the same job as they do, so that is where this ideology starts and it doesn’t only affects women, but affects everyone. Now I have a question for you. Do you believe women should get paid less than men?
      I would like to see what you think to this question.
      Thank you for writing to me,
      Guadalupe Quintero

10. Alexus 5 months ago

Hello everyone.

My name is Alexus and I am a student at Fremont High School here in Oakland. I just read your project blog post and I have some feedback.
    One thing I liked about what you wrote was you explain this topic about how people get oppress because of their gender and are not treated equal
    Something I have a question about is What do you think you can do to change this big matter today?

Thank you for sharing your project!
    Alexus

• Anthony 5 months ago

Dear Alexus,
      Thank you for your feedback. To answer your question, I believe that we won’t make the BIGGEST change, which is stopping this issue, but we can for sure spread more awareness. As the saying goes, there is “Strength in Numbers.” The more awareness we can spread in the middle and high schools, the more information the students will have to share, and the more this issue can be seen in all of it’s sexist ways. Rather than that, I don’t think we can, with our current plan, create more of a bigger change. But, if we were to plan something bigger, there can be a bigger movement made OUTSIDE of school. Hope this answers your question, and thanks again for your feedback.

Anthony

11. Vicky Nguyen 5 months ago

Student activists, I am so impressed with your Equal Pay Proposal. You’ve hit on several important points and backed it up with statistics and historical context. Well done! The most compelling portion of your proposal is labeling this issue as sexist and discriminatory. I suggest going into more detail how unequal pay effects all people in society. How does it effect men, children, retirees, and society in general? Why should people other than women care about this issue? Remember that now, more than ever woman are participants in the work force so appeal to the fact that everyone has a working mother, sister, aunt, daughter, friend that is experiencing this level of sexism and discrimination? If you business owners are your audience, describe the benefits an employer would have giving equal pay to women. Think big picture and think civic and moral responsibility of American citizens.

How did you decide on your plan? Why middle school and why a slideshow? What is the outcome you seek from informing middle school students of equal pay in the workforce? Consider simulating a real-life scenario where female students can only earn 79% (like the 79 cents to a dollar ratio) on an assignment that their counter male classmates earn 100% for the same quality of work.

I commend you all for taking an active role on this issue.

• Nathan 5 months ago

Dear Vicky,
      Equal pay effects others than just women especially if she is the one bring home money. If she is a mother and the father can´t work because of a disability or injury only the women can feed her child and help the father. This is in society but people don´t realise because of certain information seen on t.v like a women next to a stove in a commercial and a men next to a car. My group and I presented to middle schoolers to spread awareness. We used slide shows to have better visual presentations so others can have a better understanding.
      Thanks,
      Nathan

12. Liliana N. 5 months ago

Hi Guadelupe, Anthony and Nathan,

Your post was incredible! I loved how you broke down the wage difference between men and women as an intersectional issue that affects women of each race in a different manner and pay percentage. One important resource I urge you to look at is the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) which prohibits discriminatory acts in the workplace.

One question I have for you group is this:
    How is sexism perpetuated with the lack of equal pay?

• Nathan 5 months ago

Dear Liliana Thank you for your advice I’ll make sure me and my group do some research about American with Disabilities.Hopefully we could use it in other presentations.