Historical evidence from the Reconstruction period and modern Justice/Injustice system issues  show that being an American means that you are given protection by the law no matter what, though unfortunately this has not been 100% true throughout the course of history.

Document A, a document from the Reconstruction period, states, that “No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;”.

This specifically means that no person should be ranked above nor given unequal opportunity as/rather than anyone else. This also identifies that all americans should all be able to have the same amount of choices as anyone else without having any limits or restrictions.

In addition, Document B were written laws by the city of Opelousas, Louisiana and explained that “Southern states and cities passed Black Codes. These laws laid out what freed blacks were and were not allowed to do.”.

This shows that not each person in this society has actually been given equal opportunity as it was supposedly promised. Many details and evidence actually shed light on the falseness of the amendments that were meant to give others promises (especially testifying wise).

Similarly, contemporary events show that being an American means that being an American does not always give you and equal say in the (In)Justice System. Most people of different color are not given choice or lawful speech/thought in the system due to racism issues. The website-Care2 Causes which mainly express unjust subjects that need more light shed on them- stated that “In the U.S., African Americans are six times and Latinos are 3 times more likely to be incarcerated than their white counterparts.”. This unfortunately shows that even if black or latino people were able to testify they still would most likely be found ad guilty in most cases (more likely than not). It was also said that “With pressure from the state to obtain convictions, prosecutors are forced to play a game where being on the winning side is more important than being on the right side.”. This means that most politicians can’t even really have a say in the system even though that they see there are holes and false truths in the Injustice system. Sadly they would rather be on the winning/profiting side than to be on the right/correct side for a lot of corrupt reasons.

Bibliography

Document A

U.S. Constitution, Amendments 13-15. Retrieved from http://www.senate.gov/civics/constitution_item/constitution.htm#amendments.

Document B

Opelousas, Louisiana, black code, July 3, 1865. In Senate executive documents for the first session of the thirty-ninth Congress of the United States of America, 1865-1866 (pp. 92-93). Washington, DC: Government Printing Office. Retrieved from https://archive.org/details/senateexecutived00unit

Contemporary Issue Website Link

Mathews, Kevin. “6 Reasons the US Justice System Is Anything But Just.” Care2 Causes, 10 Sept. 2017, www.care2.com/causes/6-reasons-the-u-s-justice-system-is-anything-but-just.html

CC BY-SA 4.0 The (In)justice System by Najm is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.