To be an American, it means that you and every other person that lives in the United States shares the same rights. The Fourteenth Amendment states, “Nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law.” This shows how the amendments were a list rights given to all Americans and they can’t be taken away. The Black Codes in Opelousas, Louisiana, states: “These laws laid out what freed blacks were and were not allowed to do.” This shows how even though they are laws they only applied to blacks whites also had an effect on them, more of a reason why everyone should be equal.
While in theory to be an American means that everyone has the same right, recent history shows that white privilege exists meaning that for an example a black and a white could commit the same crime and the black would receive more time than the white person. In the comic “White Privilege, Explained in One Simple Comic” they explain how although the rights to be american is to have equal rights, it’s clearly not the case because of the data shown from blacks vs whites.The percent of whites going to jail is four percent to eleven percent vs forty four though fifty percent blacks in jail. In conclusion, recent event shows that whites receive better treatment by society, however all americans  should and will work towards making our country an equal place. Although knowing how hard of an challenge this will be , it will take hard work and dedication and for people to understand that everyone who lives in the united states must have the same rights .

Document A U.S. Constitution, Amendments 13-15. Retrieved from http://www.senate.gov/civics/constitution_item/constitution.htm#amendments.

Document B Opelousas, Louisiana, black code, July 3, 1865. In Senate executive documents for the first session of the thirty-ninth Congress of the United States of America, 1865-1866 (pp. 92-93). Washington, DC: Government Printing Office. Retrieved from https://archive.org/details/senateexecutived00unit

Kapp, Jamie. “White Privilege, Explained in One Simple Comic.” Everyday Feminism, 24 Dec. 2015, everydayfeminism.com/2014/09/white-privilege-explained/

CC BY-SA 4.0 American Rights? My view by Aniyah is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.