,
  • What play did you choose? What act, scene and line numbers did you choose?
  • Which character did you play?
  • What did you learn about the impact of tone, inflection, volume and pacing in your own rehearsal and oral performance?
  • What did you understand about the character’s traits and emotions as you were performing?

This is a recording from Othello; a portrayal of Desdemona, 4.2.175-186. I realized that it is much harder to read Shakespeare out loud without stuttering or messing up a lot. The way a monologue is performed to convey the audience to understand what the character is going through is by tone, inflection, volume, and pacing. However, none of these attributes can be achieved successfully without the actor understanding the context and character themselves.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Othello Recording by Mae is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.