Much Ado About Nothing: Act 2. Sc. 3 Lines 56-65.

From reading lines of Beatrice, I learned that my voice could speak her lines in so many different tone patterns. Changing where my inflections happened in the passage was a bit difficult, I had to reread until it sounded better. I also read too fast and that made the reading sound too rushed. I lowered my pitch and slowed down my pace to add inflection in some places.

Beatrice is telling her cousin Leonato how she would find the right man for her. She compares courtship to dancing. If her partner can’t keep steady to the tempo than he is not worthy. I found that she was a confident lady, but she is also harsh and judgemental. She likes to poke fun at others and she is stubborn. While reading her lines I found she was mocking those men who weren’t fit to be with her. I also found that she felt cynical about the whole idea of marriage and a bit of a pessimist.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Breathe Life into Shakespeare by Angelica is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.