In the spirit of “Owning Shakespear” I choose to be Duke from the play Othello, Act 1, Scene 3 lines 229-240.

In this scene, the Duke is trying to help Brabantio make the right decision about letting his daughter, Desdemona, marry Othello. While recording my voice, I had to make my tone, volume, and pacing match what I believed the character would be saying to Brabantio. This meant that I wanted to have a level-headed tone, with a calm soothing pace and an average volume, just as the Duke would have as he is trying to persuade Brabantio. Recording my voice made me come to a deeper understanding of the character as well as the situation because of Desdemona and her father. Just like how Desdemona was disobeying her parents to do what she thought was best for her, we all must come to a similar point in our lives. Although we all love our parents, sometimes they make mistakes and we have to decide what to do for ourselves because ultimately it is our lives that we are living, not theirs.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Owning Shakespear by Koji is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.