The R32 subway cars are the oldest and most rickety subway cars in the subway system at 54 years old. Built in 1964, they were originally expected to be retired by 2009, but they are still going due to delays of the new R160 and R179 fleet delivery and the R44’s constant breakdowns and flaws. They are not expected to be fully retired until 2022, when they will be 58 years old!

These cars can be found on the C, J and Z lines where they are at their worst. Many people who take the C are frustrated about them, so in 2015, because of their terrible air conditioning and maintenance, the new R160s on the mostly above ground J and Z lines were displaced to the C, which gave its R32 stock to the J and Z.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/26/nyregion/for-often-late-cars-of-subways-c-train-retirement-must-wait.html

Image via Booker A: An R32 on the J train.

CC BY-SA 4.0 R32 subway cars, oldest and most rickety at 54 years old by Booker is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jake 4 months ago

This article was very detailed and informative. There are so many facts about subways I never knew before! I feel bad for all of the people who have to take the R32 trains to work every day.