I am Tahlia Soto. I am 17 year old. The important thing about me is that I have many talents and always competitive at anything I do. I was born in Bronx, New York, at  North Central hospital .The important thing that happened to me to make me realize to do better . Is that I lost my baby brother and I had only seen him twice. It really hit me hard because he was only 5 months old and had to have open heart surgery to repair a hole in his heart. He had many other surgeries before being released, but unfortunately he didn’t make it – he died at Atlanta Hospital. But I have lived in Georgia, New York and California.

In school I like to find out new information, to get help on anything I don’t understand, and to help other people if they need it. I like being honest with people. And also like coming to school because you get to find out many different personalities that can influence you to make good or bad decisions in your own life that can take you a long way or leave you where you stand.

Outside school, I like to listen to music, write music, exercise and watch movies. My favorite movie is “300”. I also like “The Walking Dead” – basically, horror movies. I am particularly good at standing up for myself and having confidence in anything that I do. I got this way by taking care of my brothers and sisters, and making sure they had enough to eat and that they were happy. Many people in my life who said that they were going to take care of me and be there for me didn’t do what they said they was going to do, So I had to do it for myself based on my actions that might reflect on my family, for me to be a better person.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My life made me good at standing up for what’s important by Tahlia is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Fatumata 1 month ago

Dear Tahlia

I am thrilled with your essay “My life made me good at standing up for what’s important”. I thought it was really emotional ,and amazing. I thought this because i know it must had been really hard speaking about your little brother, yet you did it anyways, this shows how brave you are!

One sentence you wrote that stand out to me is ,”and also like coming to school because you get to find out many different personalities that can influence you to make good or bad decisions in your own life that can take you a long way or leave you where you stand”. I think phrase is really great because as teens we should know what type of people we want to hang out with and if it’s going to change and help us in a good way.

Another sentence that i loved was “many people in my life said they were going to take care of me and be there for me didn’t do what they said they were going to do so i had to do it for myself”. I loved this! This stood out for me because this conveys sometimes you only have yourself which can be difficult.

Your esssay reminds me of something that happened to me. One time i had a friend that i thought would be by my side forever. She told me she had my back through thick and thin. But then she just stopped talking to me for no reason, i felt horrible but at the end i realized people come and go and we just gotta deal with it.

Thanks for your writing. I look foward to seeing what you write next beacuse this one was really interesting and i enjoy reading this.