I’m Ronaysi Gomez. I’m 19 years old and I was born on april 10,1999. Something important about me is that I don’t like talking about myself to others; I’d rather listen. I was born in the Dominican Republic. I came to the United States with my father, my big brother and my little brother. At that time my little brother was 6 and I was 10. One of the reasons that I came to the United States was for a better future, because in the Dominican Republic, the schools are O.K., but it’s harder to get a good degree of education to earn enough money. You can only get a good job if you are close to someone who has money.

n school, my favorite subject used to be math, but I’ve already gotten all of my math credits so I don’t have that class any more. I’m interested in going to the military, but before I go to the military I want to have a backup plan with a foundation in nursing. Outside of school I belong to a community center that helps interact with children and youths with special needs. I help with homework, and socialize with them. I like it, because I get to know how they are feeling and understand why they do some things.

I also belong to a group called the Explorers, which is connected to the NYPD. We go into the community and do ceremonies like Color Guard, and help with award ceremonies. That helps me because I am interested in going into the Army and I think it’s a good way in.

Photo by L.C.Nøttaasen

CC BY-SA 4.0 I’d rather listen by Ronaysi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Rafael 7 months ago

Dear Ronaysi: I’m very impressed with your writing piece, which is called “I’d Rather Listen.” Because I’ve been through the same changes we have to make to be able to get used to a new place and a new life. One sentence that I relate to was “I was born in the Dominican Republic but I came to the united states with my father and my lil brother” because I came to the United States being the little one in my family out of my 2 sisters and my only brother. Another sentence that I relate to is “One of the reasons that I came to the United States was for a better future, because in the Dominican Republic, the schools are O.K.” because one of the important reasons I came to this country was to go far in life and get prepared for a better future, which in my country is hard to do. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your story is very similar of how was my life as soon as I came to a new place and started a new beginning.

2. Abigail 1 year ago

Ronaysi, thank you for sharing your story. I know it is often difficult to talk about yourself, but you did a fantastic job. I find it difficult to speak or even write about myself as well. It is uplifting to hear you came to the US for a better future and I hope you found one. It sounds as if you are well prepared for your future with a chosen career and a backup plan. Good luck and keep up the good work!