• What play did you choose? What act, scene and line numbers did you choose? What character did you play?
    • I read a soliloquy by Iago in the tragedy Othello, Act 3 Scene 3 lines 268-278.
  • What did you learn about the impact of tone, inflection, volume and pacing in your own rehearsal and oral performance?
    • I learned that Iago can be either convincing or simply a buffoon depending on how he is read — sometimes, his lines are accusatory and effective, in other recordings he sounded like a simple-minded gossiper.
  • What did you understand about the character’s traits and emotions as you were performing?
    • The fascinating thing, in my opinion, about Iago, is that really nothing he says is a lie — all allegations and trickery meant to fan Othello’s doubting imagination. He did allege Desdemona’s unfaithfulness yet, ironically, his disclaimer creates more tension for Othello.

Enjoy listening!