A story is a cluster of words that has the immense power of bringing people together. The story that I wrote and animated represents a part of me that I’ve been reluctant to face for years: the need to please others and “perfect” my work. The protagonist, Annie, symbolizes my heart. In my heart, I feel the need to receive other people’s approval. Annie seeks her mother’s approval, who is one of the side characters and a mathematician, about her artwork. The antagonist represents logic, and her name is Clara, Annie’s older sister. Although she tries her best to foil Annie’s plan of showing their mother Annie’s artwork, she unintentionally teaches Annie the lesson of believing in oneself.

This story was part of a larger Technology project in our class. It was similar to the process of producing a movie. First, I wrote out the story into a script with stage directions and dialogue. Next, we organized a storyboard to visualize where the characters would be. Last but not least, we animated the characters into a Scratch project. It was a long and rigorous process, but the final result was worth it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RMqvTdcBs2VFhs7vFRU0o_bifQ3tLPBniw67TEv1tF4/edit?usp=sharing

CC BY-SA 4.0 Digital Storytellung: Starting from Scratch! by Ishika N. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.