Desdemona 1.3. 208-218

“My noble father, I do perceive here a divided duty: To you I am bound for life and education; My life and education both do learn me. How to respect you; you are the lord of duty; I am hitherto your daughter: but here’s my husband.” Desdemona is basically saying to her father that I respect you so much and that I know that you still want me to be here for you. Although, here is my husband and there is a divided duty between you and him.

“And so much duty as my mother show’d. To you, preferring you before her father, So much I challenge that I may profess. Due to the Moor my lord.” She also is saying that her mother dedicated herself to him, (her father), but she may challenge not to be like that, that she’s going to dedicate herself to her husband and dad.

Desdemona was telling her father how she felt. That she will forever and ever still remember him and love him but, she has another man in her life now. That man is her husband and she must love him because it’s different now. This shows how women back then had to have lots of respect for the men in their life.

Desdemona 4.3. 27-35

“My mother had a maid call’d Barbara: She was in love, and he she loved proved mad And did forsake her: she had a song of ‘willow;’ An old thing ’twas, but it express’d her fortune, And she died singing it: that song to-night Will not go from my mind; I have much to do, But to go hang my head all at one side,And sing it like poor Barbara. Prithee, dispatch.” Desdemona was talking a about a song that her mother’s maid used to sing. Her mom’s maid was in love and she would sing that song to express how she felt. That the maid died singing it and that it will never escape from her mind. This is showing how women dealt with their pain back then which is way different from today. The man that the maid loved did her wrong so she would sing that song and then eventually died. She was committed to him and only him.