Desdemona, 1.3.208-218: In this passage Desdemona is confronting her father about her and Othello’s secret marriage and explaining to him of her two different roles now that she has a husband. Desdemona’s father was very angry when he learned that desdemona and othello eloped, so Desdemona is trying to proclaim her never ending love for her father, while making it clear she has other duties as well. For example, when Desdemona says “I do perceive here a divided duty: To you I am bound for life and education;” saying that she has two duties in her life, and her duty to her father will last forever because he has given her life. She then continues to profess her love and appreciation for all he has given her. She then says:

“but here’s my husband,

And so much duty as my mother show’d

To you, preferring you before her father,

So much I challenge that I may profess

Due to the Moor my lord.”

In this second half of the passage, Desdemona is now saying that while she is bound to her father always she now has a husband, whom she must begin a life with. Comparing her situation to that of her mother and father, as Desdemona’s mother had to leave her own father to begin a life with Desdemona’s father.

Othello, 5.2.397-406: This passage occurs after Othello kills Desdemona out of jealousy of her unfaithfulness due to Iago’s manipulation of Othello’s emotions. This in part a closing statement by Othello near the end of the play, after all the lies, deceit, and death has come to light. Othello has this speech where he essentially is pleading with the people of the state to tell his story in a just way. Othello says,

“When you shall these unlucky deeds relate,

Speak of me as I am; nothing extenuate,

Nor set down aught in malice: then must you speak

Of one that loved not wisely but too well;

Of one not easily jealous, but being wrought”

Here Othello is expressing his wishes that when people tell of these horrible deeds that occurred, he wants them to be honest, with no exaggeration. He is asking to be described as he truly was, and that he had been a man who made poor decisions in love, but also loved too much and as a man who was not easily made jealous but who had succumbed to trickery.