Original Text

Duke

1.3.229-240

Let me speak like yourself, and lay a sentence,

Which, as a grise or step, may help these lovers

Into your favour.

When remedies are past, the griefs are ended

By seeing the worst, which late on hopes depended.

To mourn a mischief that is past and gone

Is the next way to draw new mischief on.

What cannot be preserved when fortune takes

Patience her injury a mockery makes.

The robb’d that smiles steals something from the thief;

He robs himself that spends a bootless grief.

Othello

2.1.199-209

It gives me wonder great as my content

To see you here before me. O my soul’s joy!

If after every tempest come such calms,

May the winds blow till they have waken’d death!

And let the labouring bark climb hills of seas

Olympus-high and duck again as low

As hell’s from heaven! If it were now to die,

Twere now to be most happy; for, I fear,

My soul hath her content so absolute

That not another comfort like to this

Succeeds in unknown fate.

Translation

Duke 

• Let me remind you of a proverb that will help you forgive these lovers: if you can’t change something, don’t cry about it. When you think about something bad that’s already happened, you’re setting yourself up for more bad news. A victim who can smile about his losses is the winner to the one who robbed him, but if he cries he’s just wasting time. This passage is an example of imagery because the reader can try and think of a time when they have been robbed and how if they used the Duke’s advice in dealing with the robbery.

Othello

• I’m amazed that you have gotten here before me. I’m overjoyed! My love is it calm after the storm, how can it be that you are always this wonderful, I’d want the wind to blow until it wakes the dead, and whips up waves as tall as mountains! If I died right now I’d be completely happy, since I’ll probably never be as happy as this again in my life. Again, this is an example of imagery because they reader can think of a storm and how powerful the wind can be. The can then use this powerful image of wind and use it as an example of powerful Othello’s love can ve when he sees his love.