Because immigrants do not have the same privileges and advantages of US citizens, the Obama administration in June 2012, created The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) It allows individuals, under restrictive conditions, who entered the country as minors, who had either entered or remained in the country without legal permission to do so, to receive a renewable two-year period of deferred action from deportation and to be eligible for a work permit. As of 2012, approximately 800,000 individuals were enrolled in the program created by DACA.

However plans to phase out DACA were initiated by the Trump Administration on September 5, 2017, allowing Congress six months to pass the Dream Act, which would provide the path to citizenship for Dreamers under DACA that Congress had originally intended. This would deport 800,000 of the original DACA enrollments including the ones that are still being accepted today. I am passionate about this subject because I know many immigrants that are being affected by this issue. I only knew the shut down before this project. Now I know the actual terror this brings for many families.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Shutdown of DACA: A Tragedy by Haseeb is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.