The issue of sexism is a very relevant issue today. It is a very broad issue, and there are many parts to it, spanning from the gender wage gap to rape and sexual abuse. I am very passionate about this issue because it is typically women that are affected by sexism. Being a girl and a future woman myself, I would hate to think that I am growing up in a world where I am being denied opportunities or suffering in any way due to my gender.

Before I began this project, I knew that sexism was a worldwide issue and that both men and women are victims of it. I knew that something major going on in America particularly, is the fight for equal pay and opportunities for both men and women. From my research, I have also learned that a part of sexism includes very, very serious issues, such as rape and sexual abuse, and that there are many advocates for gender equality, both men and women, who are willing to help bring about change within our world.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Women = Men by Trisha is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Silvia N. 2 days ago

Dear Trisha:

I am excited about your post, “Women = Men,” because I, myself as a girl have been affected by sexism and am glad you decided to speak up about it. I am told by strangers to let the men sit down on the bus simply because I am female. I am told that I am weak because I am a girl.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “I am very passionate about this issue because it is typically women that are affected by sexism.” I think this is relatable because I can connect to what you say, like I mentioned earlier above, I have been affected by sexism.

Another sentence that I acknowledged was: “Before I began this project, I knew that sexism was a worldwide issue and that both men and women are victims of it.” This stood out for me because most people only recognize sexism as a problem for women, when it could actually affect anybody, whether it be a boy or a girl. All genders should support one another instead of calling each other out for faults and flaws.

I do completely agree with you that sexism is a dire problem in our society today. One reason I say this is the lost opportunities, such as gender wage gap and jobs, due to gender. Another reason I agree with you is the incidents of rape and sexual abuse.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I want to know more about how sexism impacts our society. I want to learn about how we can possibly stop it and create a better future for the next generation.