Since the Great Depression, there has been a great rise of homelessness in NYC. There are various ways to how people end up in the situation of homelessness, like: the increase of rent in NYC, mental illnesses, drug addiction, etc. The homeless go through so much and eventually lose many things in the process of becoming homeless, so it is our duty as citizens of NYC to help them get back on their feet. I didn’t know much about this topic, but until I looked more into it. I was so shocked to see the numbers rising of how many people out there need help.The homeless are humans as well and they deserve a second chance, so we should help them in any way that we can. I am passionate about this issue, because we are all humans and we should all be treated fairly and treat others in a fair way as well, even if it means giving them another chance.

In summary, the homeless deserve another chance in life and this video is just one thing that helps spread awareness to the situation. We don’t sometimes see things until we look at the hard cold facts and statistics or the stories of those that are in need. The simplest thing that we can do is give a smile, because a smile shows an act of kindness and they are reminded that there are still kind people in this world and that there is still hope for them to get back and start a new and better life. There are other things like helping them connecting to an organization that will help improve their lives. If everyone does even a small act of good for the homeless, it will make a big difference in their lives.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Rise of Homelessness in NYC by Lena is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Sophie Z. 4 months ago

Dear Lena,

I am moved by your article, “The Rise of Homelessness in NYC,” because it showed me how easy it is to ignore such an important issue. Everyday, people walk past homeless people in New York City and nobody seems to care about them. Your article showed me the tough situations homeless people go through and how much they suffer.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “the simplest thing that we can do is give a smile, because a smile shows an act of kindness and they are reminded that there are still kind people in this world and that there is still hope for them to get back and start a new and better life. ” I think this is shocking because something as small as a smile can help these homeless people get back on their feet and have a second chance.
    Another sentence that I was surprised by was: “There are various ways to how people end up in the situation of homelessness, like: the increase of rent in NYC, mental illnesses, drug addiction, etc” This stood out for me because most of the time, I don’t think about the horrible things that could happen to people. This proves that there is a good reason a lot of people are homeless and it is a lot harder to recover from the hardships and buy a home.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I am very interested in homeless in NYC because of your article showed me its importance.