The issue presented is student loan debt that is caused because college tuitions are too high for students to afford. Therefore, many students get student loans from banks. Around 80% of students graduate with debt at around $20,000. This is a real issue because education should be accessible for all students no matter their income. This discriminates against people with lower income and everyone deserves a chance at becoming successful.

I knew this was a problem for anyone with low income but what I didn’t know, was that the majority of college students graduate with debt and some might not be able to pay it off. The fact that diplomas are more demanding, give colleges power because they know that competition will get higher and can easily raise the prices even higher for their own gain.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Student Loans: A Crisis for Those Who Want to Succeed by David is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Daniella L. 5 months ago

Dear David:
    I am outraged and upset with colleges in the United States, they fail to provide affordable education for all. Your post , “Student Loans: A Crisis For Those Who Want to Succeed,” has opened my eyes because it demonstrates how people who wanted to have a job and start a family are held back by their student loans. Not everyone can receive a scholarship to college, but they still deserve to receive a job and get a proper education. Debt from college makes it hard to pay rent and simply keep the money one may earn from his/her pay check. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “This discriminates against people with lower income and everyone deserves a chance at becoming successful”. I think this is powerful and extremely accurate because most people do attend college to succeed in life and have financial stability. What is the point of college then if all that financial stability possibly coming from a job is ruined through dozens of student loans. Education is a basic right human beings have, so why must we pay for college? It should be helping us move forward, but ultimately may be holding low income people back.
    Another sentence that I admired was: “Around 80% of students graduate with debt around $2,000 .” This stood out for me because one day I may be part of that 80%. Which means only 20% of people either are wealthy enough to not be in debt or receive a scholarship. High tuition rates affect a large sum of people, which is a problem because that means 80% of people still need to think about paying money even after they have a job.
    Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time my grandpa was telling me about when it was time for my mom to go to college. She was smart and had a lot of options. But she had to settle for a school not as high in achievement. My mom did this because at the time she was unemployed and 18 so she couldn’t pay off her own student loans. That was left up to my grandma and grandpa. So to not put them or herself in debt my mom decided to go to a lower tuition college. Even now she still has some debt to repay from her student loans, which she just recently paid off. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because this is something that will affect me and my family greatly. I also look forward to you possibly writing about what the government and changes are possibly being made to end such high tuition from colleges. Not only do I want to continue to read your writing, but see if things are getting worse for people who are in student loan debt.