The issue that I will be discussing in this video is that of Islamophobia. There has been a rise in those against Muslims in recent years due to the attack on the twin towers in 2001. However, most of the crimes committed in the U.S. that qualify as terrorist attacks, have been committed by white men. This is one of the reasons I am so passionate about this issue. I have friends who are Muslim and they are some of the nicest people I know. I don’t know if they’ve ever been discriminated against, but if they have, it’s because the perpetrator knew nothing about my friends. There’s this prejudice surrounding Muslims due to the actions of others, and that’s due to a lack of misinformation, and the spread of the idea through media, that Muslims are generally not good people.

Before I really researched this topic, the one thing that I remember about it was the fact that Muslims are not the ones who have been harming the U.S. in the past couple years. In 2016, when Trump got elected, my history teacher printed out a handout detailing the most violent terrorist attacks that had been committed in recent years. What my classmates and I realized was that these terrorist attacks were committed by white men born in the U.S., with no ties to Islam. After doing more research, I realized just how widespread this issue is, with hundreds of crimes committed against Muslims in the year of 2016. I also discovered that Islam takes up the second largest percentage of the world’s population, at 24.1% in 2015, according to Pew Research. This made me realize just how important it was to make sure that people know how many innocent Muslims that are out there, and how many of them need our help, and that people must learn to stop discriminating against Muslims.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Problem of Islamophobia by Devin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Keury 2 months ago

Dear Devin,
    I am interested in your post because you are a white american and you defend muslims. I’m surprised by this because some white americans discriminate against muslims.

One thing you said that stands out for me is: “Muslims are not the ones who have been harming the U.S. in the past couple years. ” I think this is true because I also see that some people think that Latinos harm U.S but i know that this isn’t true.

Your post reminds me of how some people discriminate against latinos. One time in school i saw a student bullying another student who was mexican. I defended him by talking to him and asking him why he bullying him. I think Muslims and Latinos should be together against discrimination. I, being latino, have a lot of muslim friends because I like to have friends who speak different languages and this makes me feel different from other people.

Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I liked your story a lot and I found it very interesting that you defend the muslims just like me and I hope you stay that way,

Regards!

Yo Devin i forget to say follow me on Instagram @keurylafama 😉

2. Keury 2 months ago

Dear Devin,

Regards!

3. Rhea Shenoy 1 year ago

Dear Devin,
    I completely agree with the points that you mentioned in this post. Lots of people this country believe that because a group of people did something, that other people like them will end up doing the same bad things. They see them as all having the same set of intentions. Everyone is their own person and should not be labeled because of something that someone else did. I think that the use of statistics made your argument very strong, and made it hard to refute.