It’s important for me to graduate high school because I will have better opportunities with a diploma. I can get better jobs that pay more than the jobs you get without a diploma. The military also requires a high school diploma, and I have that as a goal for my future for training and education. To reach my goal, what I have to do is pass all of my classes and study hard for the Regents exams I need to take, and also for the ASVAB (the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery).

Another reason why I want to graduate so badly is because I want to show my family that I can do it; I want to say “if you can do it, I can do it, too.” I want to follow the members of my family who have gone to college in their success even if I do something other than college.

Well I work at a community center. In the center they offer after-school classes for special needs kids (and other kids of course).  One of the things that I enjoy about my job is that I’ve found that working with those kids really made me understand how they feel sometimes, and it’s really meaningful because my little brother has a learning disability and doing this make me understand how my brother feels when he doesn’t understand the work from school. At the center there’s this boy whose name is Alaija who really loves me. Every time he sees me he smiles and asks me when I am coming back to see him and to help him with his homework.

My little brother’s disability has made me change my behavior. Before I knew that my brother had a lability I used to make fun of him without knowing that he had that type of disability. Another thing that I was really annoyed by was the way he used to get treated in school. One of the teachers used to say that “he’s coming to school for no reason.” When she said that I got really mad because regardless of the situation that my brother was going through, that teacher did not have the right to say that to my brother. There was this one teacher who noticed that my brother had a disability and she called my grandma at that time and she recommended him for a school that is good for kids with learning disabilities. Now he’s doing way better and he’s learning much more. Another thing I’m happy about is that he knows how to read now.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Anyone can have a Learning Disability around you by Ronaysi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.