Heterosexism is the discrimination or prejudice against homosexuals or other sexual orientations based on the belief that being heterosexual is the normal sexual orientation. This includes the assumption that being straight is the superior sexuality. People who feel this way are mostly religious or feel that it opposes religious views on marriage and raising children. I feel passionate about the issue because this problem isn’t usually even considered as a problem. Because of this problem so many are being discriminated against and are being taught that this is okay.

Before starting this project I knew that the people affected by heterosexism and unequal rights in regards to the LGBTQ community are generally apart of the LGBTQ community and the people who don’t support them. People affected are usually discriminated against and are denied the rights to do certain things like get married or join the army. Now I know some possible solutions like encorporating LGBTQ messages/characters into our literature and education so more people are exposed to it and aren’t biased.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Heterosexism and LGBTQ + Rights by Kaitlyn is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.