Sexism is still present in today’s society, especially in video games. I have had encounters in which my teammates harass me for my gender. I’ll be discussing Gamergate, a movement that touches on the toxic community within the video game industry.

Upon looking up problems in the gaming community, I didn’t know about Gamergate–never even heard about it. But as I read more, I realized how passionate other people were about this topic and motivated me to focus my research on it.

Now, I know how severe the harassment women in the gaming industry still face. I want to address this and share the ways that would hopefully spread awareness and motivate others to take action.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Female Harassment in the Gaming Industry by Erica is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. EJ 2 months ago

I think that sexism is still very present in our society and its a terrible thing for people to be treated less based on gender. People are going to bully but you have the ability to mute mics and if it gets worst you can leave the lobby. This isn’t your fault but you do have power to limit your exposure, you can squad up on Fortnite with your friends instead of playing with random people. I also think there are better things in life then video games and I hope you aren’t playing games 24/7. This Gamergate movement sounds very strong but Xbox lobbies are extremely toxic and you need to be careful.