I am from a busted toy chest,

and a shared bed and a broken Dell desktop.

I am from hot plates after school that make you wanna go back for thirds

and a sprinkler outside for summer days well over 90 degrees.

I am from the garden in the front with the

whose bright glaze gave a calm but vibrant serenity.

I am from a warm Saturday morning cleaning the house accompanied by a grey stereo with never-ending jazz and rhythm and blues.

I am from going to friend’s houses and playing all of their video games on a dusty Xbox,

and from receiving an ongoing speech for staying too long on a school night.

I am from praying on a mat every New Year’s Day for good outcome and prosperity,

and from my two loving grandmother’s who once fought over who was better out of the two.

From baked macaroni and cheese to collard greens that a seven-year-old me would never eat.

I am from the moments that reflect what nostalgia has been, that was once forgotten.

Photo by rkramer62

CC BY-SA 4.0 Forgotten Nostalgia by Najm is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.