Stephon Clark is now being added to a long list of wrongful deaths in the black community. Clark was minding his own business in his backyard when cops let 20 shots at him. They tried to justify it by saying that Clark was armed, but they couldn’t find a weapon on him. Only a cell phone. Racial profiling like this needs to stop. This man had children who will never have their father in their life again. And I find it very hard to believe that both of the officers thought that Clark was armed. Police need to be more careful when addressing situations that they don’t know all the details to. In this day and age, police are too trigger happy. Things like this make me worry about my life as a young black male living in America. Also the lives of my loved ones. We need to find alternative ways for police to de-escalate situations without violence and murder. Life is too precious for it to just taken from you because an officer feels “threatened” by your very existence. The overall point I’m trying to make is, I should feel safe and comfortable with police officers since they are here to protect us. Yet, when stories like Clark’s always appear in the news, it makes it a little bit hard.

Photo by Marcela McGreal

CC BY-SA 4.0 Stephon Clark Response by Kendre is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.