Gun control is a huge issue for us right now, because there are mass shootings that is occurring too often, mainly at schools of young kids to young adults. Without a background check, there is a higher chance of random shootings. It is also seen that 2.9% of persons with serious mental issues alone committed violent acts in a year, compared to 0.8% of people with no mental disorders or substance abuse. I personally believe that enough is enough, the government need to make the gun laws more strict. The Second Amendment to the Constitution states that, “A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed,”. The definition of gun control is; government regulation of possession and use of firearms by private citizens. These laws do nothing to stop criminals from buying illegal guns, who are unlikely to obey the law and register their guns. The questionnaire will include questions about the persons past, for example, if they have a criminal record or a record of any mental illness. If there is a criminal record in that person’s history, he/she will not be able to make the purchase.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Something Has To Be Done by Ayanna is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Kayla 3 weeks ago

Dear Ayanna
    I am intrigued by your post “Something Has To Be Done,” because the title was catchy and it moved me. I can relate to the problems your speaking on but there is a few things i don’t entirely agree with.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “a criminal record or a record of any mental illness. If there is a criminal record in that person’s history, he/she will not be able to make the purchase.” I think this is confusing because… people shouldn’t be judged based off their personal background. a record shouldn’t stop someone from being able to buy a method of protection. Everyone should be equal. If one person can do it .. we all should able to purchase.
    Another sentence that I agreed with was: “These laws do nothing to stop criminals from buying illegal guns, who are unlikely to obey the law and register their guns. .” This stood out for me because… i totally do agree with this statement. I don’t think the government is creating strong enough laws to protect us as citizens.
    Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time when i stood up for gun violence and marched with many others to speak on the problems that our society is facing.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you have a powerful ways with words and you state the facts instead of hiding things and waiting till a problem occurs to then speak on the situation.