Is it ethical to use data from Nazi medical experiments? Lots of people argue whether or not it is ethical to use data from multiple experiments conducted by the Nazi. Some people argue that using their data should be used because it will help other scientist create medical breakthroughs. But others say that the way the data was collected was unethical and the data won’t help scientist at all.

To begin, the article “Did Nazi Research Actually Contribute Anything Valuable To Medical Science?” by Richard Stockton talks about how the Nazi conducted many experiments. It also mentions the flaws of the experient and what happened to the human subjects used. Additionally, it mentions the results that the data showed. The author said, “Virtually nothing of use came from any of these experiments, and what little was discovered was either already known, or the research was so sloppy that no firm conclusions could be drawn. The subjects were tortured to death for nothing”(Stockton). This quote is showing that the data from the Nazi experimentations is not useful. That means that the data clearly does not follow the ethical principle that is beneficence. Because the data not following the ethical principle benefits that means that the usage of the data would not be ethical to use for other similar experimental procedures. Additionally, in the article “Nazi Scientists and Ethics of Today” by Isabel Wilkerson talks about how in 1989 there was a press conference that had scientist and scientist who also studied the ethical principles. The press conference was based off a question which was “Is it ethical to use the Nazi data”. The author Isabel Wilkerson said, “…Others questioned the validity of the experiments, saying they were poorly designed, could obviously not be tested or duplicated, were conducted on subjects who were weak and malnourished, and, therefore, are useless to modern science”(Wilkerson). This quote shows that the data will not benefit anyone who tries to use it. The fact that the data will not follow any of the ethical principles for example obtaining informed consent and autonomy. The data does not follow those two main ethical principles because the human subjects use have not given any consent to those who performed the experiments and to those who want/have used the data.

On the other hand some may argue that using the data from Nazi experimentation is ethical and it follows the ethical principle that is non-maleficence. In the article “Nazi Scientists and Ethics of Today” by Isabel Wilkerson mentions that some scientist believe that the data is ethical. The scientist Benjamin Freeman is one of the scientist who believes that the data is ethical to use. “We are talking of the use of the data, not participation in these heinous studies, not replication of atrocities,”  said Dr. Benjamin Freedman, a bioethicist at McGill University in Montreal. This shows that the data is not going to hurt anyone because they will not do the same things that made the data break the ethical principles. But that is not completely true the usage of the data is breaking the ethical principle which is Protecting anonymity and confidentiality. In the article “The echo of Nuremberg: Nazi data and ethics” by Stephen G Post talks about why the usage of the data is unethical. The author describes, “Because the Nazi experiments on human beings were so appallingly unethical, it follows, prima facie, that the use of their results is unethical”(G Post). This quote is showing that the data is being used unethically because they are taking the data of those who were used in the expreriment without there permision. Not only that the deeta wont benefit anyone so it is also against beneficence.

In conclusion, lots of people argue whether or not it is ethical to use data from multiple experiments conducted by the Nazi. Some people argue that using their data should be used because it will help other scientist create medical breakthroughs. But others say that the way the data was collected was unethical and the data won’t help scientist at all. This is important because the data will not benefit anyone because the data is being used without permission and the data is now dated which clearly shows that the data will no longer benefit the user.

Annotated Bibliography

Stockton, Richard. “Did Nazi Research Actually Contribute Anything To Medical Science?” All That’s Interesting, All That’s Interesting, 8 Aug. 2017, allthatsinteresting.com/nazi-research.

This is a trustworthy source because the company has many authors that have published multiple articles. For example this author has published this article and other articles that talk about ethical principles . That shows that the author has had experience with ethics which shows that the information given by the author is correct. Additionally the information that was given has also been cited at the end of the article so that the reader wants to further their information they are able to do that.

Isabel Wilkerson and Special To the New York Times. “Nazi Scientists and Ethics of Today.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 21 May 1989, www.nytimes.com/1989/05/21/us/nazi-scientists-and-ethics-of-today.html?module=ArrowsNav&contentCollection=U.S.&action=keypress®ion=FixedLeft&pgtype=article.

This is a trustworthy article because it quotes some scientist with different ideas and beliefs. The scientist also are specialized in ethical subject. Additionally, the source where the article was published is trustworthy because it has posted a lot of articles that have gone through the editorial which makes it even more trustworthy.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Unethical Usage of Nazi Medical Data by Emely is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.