Animal Testing Is Ethical!!

I believe that animal testing is ethical because medical researchers can provide more accurate treatment for patients in the future and help medical researcher figure out which “drugs” are beneficial for humans.  

This is true because people who has polio have been provided with vaccines thanks to animal testing. To begin in the article “Understanding Animal Research”  talks about the pros of animal testing the article states ”We share 95% of our genes with a mouse, making them an effective model for the human body. Animals and humans are very similar; we have the same organ systems performing the same tasks in more or less the same way”(Understanding Animal Research). This quote is important because scientist say that human beings share or have identical genes which is 95% with mouses genes. That is why animal researchers have used mouses more in animal testing so they could find new treatments for humans and get an accurate drug or treatment. If we have almost the same genes as mouses there is a higher chance that the treatment for humans will be more accurate. Additionally, in the article 14 Pros and Cons of Animal Research talks about the beneficence of animal testing and negatives the article states “Animal testing helps to lessen the risk of an unplanned event occurring when humans use or ingest the products that are part of the animal testing experiment. Drugs can be potentially and immediately harmful to humans, especially during the testing phase of a product, so animal testing allows for researchers to determine the quality and safety of a product before humans take it”(Vittana). This article points out that if medical researchers were to test on humans it can be very harmful and lead to death. This shows that animal testing is ethical because once the drugs is tested on the animal, then animal researcher’s will be able to identify if the drug is considered good for human beings or not. Also testing on humans may be illegal in most states.

Furthermore, another piece of evidence that supports my claim is on the article ConnectUS, that talks about more pros about animal testing is beneficial it says, “Humans can live up to 80 years or more, which means some scientists would be dead before others results will be gathered. Laboratory mice, on the other hand, only live for 2 to 3 years, giving researchers an opportunity to study effects of genetic manipulation or treatments over an entire lifetime”(ConnectUS). This quote is clarifying that animals only have a limited amount of life time to live but humans have about to 80 years old or older. The lifespan of human being is a lot more than animals do so humans may be considered more important.

Others may say that animal testing is wrong because animal researchers are harming animals while testing on them. A quote that I found that supports this is in the article Understanding Animal Research says “Animal testing may provide safety benefits for new products, but some of the items that are tested will never be used. That means animals will likely be sacrificing their lives to determine the safety of a product that a human will never even know was being developed”(Vittana). This quote points out that animal testing is not useful animal researchers are not sacrificing animal lives for doing. But I believe that when researcher find a drug to be needs to get tested researchers tested on the animals but most of the time the drug wouldn’t come out or they want to improve it even better so they eventually throw it out and make a better one for people to be able to use it safely. Another quote I found in the article Using Animals for Testing clarifies “The Draize eye test, used by cosmetic companies to evaluate irritation from shampoos and other products. This test involves rabbits being restrained with their eyelids clipped open, sometimes for multiple days. The product is placed in their eyes and their reaction is studied. The animal is unable to run away, blink the product out, or even rub it out”(Using Animals for Testing). This quote is saying that in the draize eye test medical researcher use rabbits and add the product of shampoo into their eyes in order to see what reaction it does and it can take up to multiple days. I disagree to this testimony because it is important to understand what will happen to a human if they ever get the product in their eye which animal researcher are really cautious for it.

In conclusion, I believe that animal testing is ethical because medical researcher can provide more accurate treatment for patients in the future and help medical researcher figure out which “drugs” are beneficial for human beings. This is important because without animal testing we wouldn’t have the medicines we have now and take when we are sick.

Annotated bibliography

ConnectUS, 19 Aug. 2015, connectusfund.org/16-integral-pros-and-cons-of-animal-experimentation

This article talks about the animals that have been tested for animal testing. It also talks about the physical abuse that animals had to deal with while being experimented on. This source is reliable because it provides readers real facts that have been also in other documents.

“14 Pros and Cons of Animal Research.” Vittana.org, 22 Aug. 2017,  vittana.org/14-pros-and-cons-of-animal-research

This article lists facts about animal testing and the pros and cons. And even provide videos to support the pros and cons. This article is trustworthy because it says it was uploaded recently.

“Forty Reasons Why We Need Animals in Research | Understanding Animal Research.” Understanding Animal Research, Understanding Animal Research, 11 Sept. 2014, www.understandinganimalresearch.org.uk/contact-us/science-action-network/forty-reasons-why-we-need-animals-in-research/

This article talks about how animal testing is beneficial for humans. And provide readers a lot of facts about it. This source is trustworthy because there were so many other articles that provide mostly the same facts that this source did.

“Sixty Years of the Polio ‘Miracle’ Vaccine | Understanding Animal Research.” Understanding Animal Research, 13 Apr. 2013, www.understandinganimalresearch.org.uk/news/video-of-the-week/sixty-years-of-the-polio-miracle-vaccine/

This article talks about how polio started developing through the years. Also it talks about how Dr. Jonas Salk was the first to discover the first vaccine for polio. This article is credible because it provided reader a lot of information they need to know.

“The Ethics of Animal Experimentation.” HOPES Huntington’s Disease Information, 25 July 2017,  web.stanford.edu/group/hopes/cgi-bin/hopes_test/animal-research/  

This article tells readers how other people feel about animal researcher. This article also addresses different paragraphs for disagreeing and middle to tell readers what other people opinions are. This source is trustworthy because it was uploaded recently so it has current data.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Animal Testing Is Ethical by Linda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Yojana 3 months ago

Dear linda,

I am really proud of you about your post “ animal testing is ethical” because you did a really good job of explaining why animal testing is good for research. Once sentence you wrote that standed out to me is “If we have almost the same genes as mouses there is a higher chance that the treatment for humans will be more accurate”. I think this a really strong quote because you are saying that the mouse have the same genes as humans so that way there would be more treatment for humans thanks for that animals. Another sentence that I liked was Drugs can be potentially and immediately harmful to humans, especially during the testing phase of a product, so animal testing allows for researchers to determine the quality and safety of a product before humans take it”. I liked your quote because it is really true that all the treatments that aren’t tested on animals can hurt people and people can even die. But if we didn’t have animals then everything would be all bad and also a lot of people would be dying. Thanks for writing. I am looking forwards to see what you write next time because you have a really strong opinion about animal testing.

2. Naycet 3 months ago

Dear linda,

I am very delighted by your post, “Animal Testing is Ethical” because you explained how animal testing helps humans in many ways and how the humans benefit from the research. One sentence that stood out to me was, “This article points out that if medical researchers were to test on humans it can be very harmful and lead to death. This shows that animal testing is ethical because once the drugs is tested on the animal, then animal researcher’s will be able to identify if the drug is considered good for human beings or not. Also testing on humans may be illegal in most states”. This stood out to me because scientist test on animals to make sure that a human will not get killed with the medication. I agree with your agreement because I think that using animals for animal testing is ethical since we are helping people. In some article that I read it also talks about how animals research helps both humans and dog, for example the type 1 diabetes that helps animals and humans fight type 1 diabetes. Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I am interested to see if agree in other things.