Do you think the family is owed money for the sale of the HeLa cells?

Well in my opinion I think the family of Henrietta is owed money because of the HeLa cells. Without the HeLa cells from Henrietta Lacks the scientist and doctors couldn’t find cures for diseases and they wouldn’t know anything about the HeLa cells. I read an article “ 10 amazing facts the immortal cells of Henrietta Lacks” it said, “scientist  had been trying to cultivate human tissue in the lab for many years without success. But after Henrietta’s Tumor was biopsied, the answer finally came. The events that followed created a ripple effect so great that the world of medicine was never the same” (Nicollette B).Thanks to Henrietta lacks the scientist found about HeLa cells. Right know the scientist say that the HeLa cells are really useful and finding cure for other diseases. Even after she died her cells were still growing without control. But is the scientists didn’t know anything about Henrietta then right know they would be struggling to find cures for other disease that the HeLa cells cured. But one thing that I didn’t like what the scientist did is that they didn’t ask the family for permission if they could study on the HeLa cells. Another thing that wasn’t  helpful for Henrietta’s family was that the scientists after they found out the HeLa cells were useful they didn’t pay the family money or even give them a thank you that without these discoveries they wouldn’t even find new things and cures. Then later on the family heard all about the cells they were made and they didn’t wanted to trust the scientist course they would pay the family and they would just use the information if it was theres and not henrietta’s cells. This connects back to animal research because if the scientist didn’t know anything about the HeLa cells then I think the scientist would use animals as research because that is the only thing that they have that they can use to do testing on I read an article “Why do scientist use animals in research” the article said, “They are susceptible to many of the same health problems, and they have short life-cycles so they can easily be studied throughout their whole life-span or across several generations. In addition, scientists can easily control the environment around the animal (diet, temperature, lighting, etc.), which would be difficult to do with people”(The American Physiological Society). This article mentions that animals are useful for helping researchers found cure for disease. But connecting back to my question Henrietta’s family is owed money because the HeLa cells helped found cures so that means that the scientist didn’t have to use animals for research and instead they used HeLa cells. Henrietta’s family should get half of the money that the people give to the scientist so that way the family doesn’t feel left out and that they don’t distrust the scientists. Many people don’t think that they are hurting animals and that animals have feelings to. If a scientist used you for research without them telling you, you would get really mad and even go to the police and report that because they don’t have the right to do that to you. In other hand animals can’t talks and say no when they want to and they can’t report it to the police, so they just accept what the scientist do to them. This isn’t fair because animals and humans don’t have the same equal rights. For example scientist have found out that the chimpanzees are similar to humans so then they would use them to do all these testing on them without thinking that animals also don’t’ want to get tested on just like us that we don’t want to get tested on. This might be why scientists use animals that are closer to humans body parts and they would use them to do testing on them. But sometimes I question myself what if animals didn’t exist what would the scientist use to do research on? I have read an article “Animal Testing Is Bad Science: Point/Counterpoint | PETA”  it stated, “The fact is that we already do test new drugs on people. No matter how many tests on animals are undertaken, someone will always be the first human to be tested on” (animals are not ours). This quote is trying to say that they if animals weren’t there they would use humans, also they already do use people because after they the drug is done to animals they would test it on the first human to take the drug and see if it is useful or not useful. So instead of using humans for testing they used HeLa cells to see if anything bad happens to the cell. If everything is all good then that might be that the drug is good for people to take. Going back to Henrietta Lacks thanks to her HeLa cells less animals are used for testing because these Immortal Hela are used to find cures for other disease that the scietnis have not found cure for them yet. For me Henrietta Lacks’s family should be owed money because they have saved a lot of animals form not getting testing, course now that the Hela cells produce everyday they scientist would never run out of HeLa cells. Henrietta should be honored because she did a lot to this would that save people who had the disease and there was not treatment, thanks to her the scientist found cures for those disease. Some people may say that the scientist should be the ones who should be honored because they did all the work and have studied a lot. This is true that they should be honored but if the scientist didn’t know anything about Henrietta then right know they wouldn’t have found cures for a lot of disease. So we should honor and give own money to henrietta’s family because with all they did even after they heard that the scientist send the HeLa cells all around the world they were made but they forgot about it. The family was kind that they forgot about the Hela cells that were sent all around the world because without them the scientist would be struggling with a lot of diseases to be cured. Everybody should be joyful that Henrietta Lacks did a lot to save us all for finding cures of the all the disease but not quite all of them. Over all Henrietta’s family should be owed money because her HeLa cells helped scientist to figure out cures for man disease.

Annotated bibliography

“10 Amazing Facts About The Immortal Cells Of Henrietta Lacks.” Listverse, 9 Apr. 2016, listverse.com/2016/04/09/10-amazing-facts-about-the-immortal-cells-of-henrietta-lacks/.

This source is credible because it talks about 10 really important facts about Henrietta lacks. also it was published on 2016 not as long ago. And also it gives some really important information about Henrietta lacks and talks about what really happened in the past and about how Henrietta’s life was before.

“Animal Research Publications.” American Physiological Society > Animal Research Publications, www.the-aps.org/mm/SciencePolicy/AnimalResearch/Publications.

this article is useful because it talks about how using animals for research is good because without the animals the scientists wouldn’t have anything that they can test on. also they wouldn’t find cures for all the diseases that is happening right now. if scientists start doing testing on humans we wouldn’t allow them because we can stand up for ourselves but the animals can’t talk to humans and say that they don’t want o be part of the research.

“Animal Testing Is Bad Science: Point/Counterpoint.” PETA, www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-experimentation/animal-testing-bad-science/.

This article was really useful because it talks about how if animals didn’t exist then humans should be the ones who should be tested. Also it gives information that using animals is bad because all living thing has feelings and they all matter no matter if they are small and can’t stand up for themselves.buthen at the same time it talks about how animals are useful for research because without them we wouldn’t have anything to use for research and we couldn’t find any cures for all the diseases that exist.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Henrietta lack’s family should be owed money. by Yojana is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Linda 1 month ago

I am very interested by your post “ Henrietta lack’s family should be owed money” because you had a lot of information explaining your thought’s about this topic. One sentence that stood out to me is “Another thing that wasn’t helpful for Henrietta’s family was that the scientists after they found out the HeLa cells were useful they didn’t pay the family money or even give them a thank you that without these discoveries they wouldn’t even find new things and cures.” This stood out to me the most because scientists should have reworded Henrietta lack’s family instead of just ignoring them like and making it seem that withought scientist there would be no HeLa cells. I agree with you on everything that you describes about the HeLa cells and that her family should have been more involve into this. But I don’t understand the part where you mentioned animal testing into this question maybe explain more to it or how does it connect to the HeLa cells. Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you definitely added a lot of thought into your work.

Yojana 2 weeks ago

Well to make it clear for you to understand, henrietta lacks cells connects back to animal testing because the scientist uses animals for testing to find cures but since they found out about the HeLa cells the scientist didn’t had to use animals for the testing they used the HeLa cells. So without the Hela cells the scientist would use animals for all the testing to find the cure of diseases. so thanks to Henrietta cells the scientist didn’t have to use animals testing.

2. Naycet 1 month ago

Dear Yojana,

I am very delighted by your post, “ Henrietta lack’s family should be owed money” because you explained how Henrietta’s family deserve the money that the scientist/ doctors get. One sentence that stood out to me is “Henrietta should be honored because she did a lot to this would that save people who had the disease and there was not treatment, thanks to her the scientist found cures for those disease. ”. This stood out to me because I think that without Henrietta many scientist wouldn’t have found cures for many diseases. I agree with what you are saying about how Henrietta should be honored because of her cells because it is unfair that she or her family got nothing in returned after they used her cells for research. Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you have interesting topics to talk about.