I am from Nestle Crunch bars, from Airstream and Herman Miller.
I am from the crystal-clear panels that let sunlight through on a beautiful day.
I am from the ever-blooming orchid, the snake plant near a crackling fireplace.
I am from opening a single present on Christmas Eve and the baby of the family, from Aaron, or Monte (first and second), and Wendy.
I am from the ‘ope’ that comes before ‘I’m sorry’ and other identical traits I obtained from my father.
From “Swedish beauty” and “treat others how you want to be treated”.
I am from the Lutheran Church, brought upon me by the Pride family, but still unsure what I believe
I’m from the mitten state, with previous generations hailing from Sweden and Ireland, from meatballs to breakfast souffle.
From the glistening eyes identical to my fathers flush with matching ferns in the backyard, the hours spent giggling at each other’s ears as they rush up and down, and the conversation that is paired with a creamy Steak and Shake milkshake on our lunch dates.
I am from the bookcase chalk-full of memories, from a full set of school pictures to the tattered ‘Sir Small and the Dragonfly’.
The countless picture frames that encapsulate decades of emotion
Will spark a trip down memory lane as the times become farther and farther away

CC BY-SA 4.0 Where I’m From by Zoe is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Katie 3 days ago

Dear Zoe,

I am excited about your poem because you have used specific details to capture your identity and roots and a way that I, the reader, can visualize. One thing you said that stands out for me is: “From the glistening eyes identical to my fathers flush with matching ferns in the backyard” I think this is great because you juxtapose your features and your father’s with the ferns in your yard. Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you are a skilled writer!