To the YV community, this is my response to the Warm-Up for English class today. We are studying Shakespeare’s Othello and exploring the theme of appearance versus reality.

Dear Me,

I am always happy to see you when I wake up in the morning. However, there’s always room for improvements so here’s another unwanted letter. First off, you have trouble speaking in front of lots of people. Here’s a great tip: Imagine the crowd believes that you are genius, that way you speak with confidence. I know that being yourself is difficult because it’s hard for you to open up so just try to get your point across. Perhaps, you should remember: anyone with an idea can be believed if said with confidence. That’s probably your biggest flaw. Confidence is what you fear because you do not have a lot of it OR maybe you mistake confidence with arrogance. Either way, forget about cliques or common quotes about confidence, simply just remember: if you have enough confidence to wake up then there’s no flaw.

Mauro

CC BY-SA 4.0 Unwanted Letter by Mauro is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ben 5 months ago

The message within this post is a phenomenal one and I think all high schoolers should see this. Under-confidence results in a very poor self-image and it is so unhealthy for anyone’s mental health. At the same time we need to make sure we don’t let this become over-confidence where we are arrogant.