Virtually all foods people consume today have had their genetic makeup gradually modified through thousands of years of selective breeding. Selective breeding involves carefully breeding certain plants or animals to produce offspring with desirable traits.To create GMOs, scientists alter the genes of crops to introduce new traits (features). These traits are usually meant to benefit farmers, consumers, or the environment. For example, a GM crop may have a greater ability to fight certain diseases. In addition to plant crops, scientists can also alter the genes of livestock. For instance, GM livestock might grow more quickly.

Scientists first directly altered crop genes through genetic engineering in the 1980’s. The first widely available GMO foods reached the market in the mid-1990’s. Today, some GM crops have largely replaced traditional crops. For example, most of the corn, cotton, and soybeans planted in the United States are genetically modified. Most organizations that test to see if genetically modified organisms are safe to eat have found that GMO foods are safe to grow and eat.

Today people are worried that Genetically modified foods might be dangerous for people to eat because the lack of in depth research and testing as these foods are fairly new. People are worried and they argue that Genetically Modified foods are still relatively new and that experts may not have enough information about their safety; Some people also worry about the long-term consequences of releasing GM crops into the environment as they could have effects that are unforeseen. There are countries have banned planting GM crops and selling GMO foods because they don’t want to release them before further testing can be done to be certain these foods will not have long term consequences or damages to people or the environment. Almost every country has implemented government agencies to review any GMO food for safety before it can be sold; there are strict guidelines they must follow before putting the  products on the market.

If someone is concerned about these foods and how they are on the market, there is consumer protection. Consumer protection is the effort to promote the interests of buyers of goods and services; It seeks to protect consumers from unsafe products, deceptive advertising and sales methods, and unfair business practices and It also tries to provide accurate information about products so that consumers can make informed purchasing decisions. Genetically Modified Foods and crops are the future, they will not go away and will only advance from where it is now. Once people stop worrying and disregarding these products then it will lead to companies putting more money and research into these products to improve them.

Citations

“Genetically modified food.” World Book Discover, World Book, 2018, www.worldbookonline.com/wbdiscover/article?id=ar837461.

“Agriculture.” World Book Student, World Book, 2018, /www.worldbookonline.com/student/article?id=ar007880.

Mayer, Robert N. “Consumer protection.” World Book Student, World Book, 2018, www.worldbookonline.com/student/article?id=ar131205.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Is using genetically modified organisms in crop production that scary? by Ravi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Sara 1 month ago

Ravi,
    I have read a little bit about GMO’s, but I still don’t really know much about them. I think that this is a big problem, which is why I am glad that you are covering this topic. I found a website that talks about the pros and the cons of GMOs, https://www.newportnaturalhealth.com/2013/07/gmos-the-pros-cons-of-genetically-modified-food/. I am also glad that you talked about consumer protection because it is good to know that there is a system telling people what is safe and not. Thank you for writing and I hope to read more from you in a bit.

2. Ben 1 month ago

Great job with writing this piece! GMO’s are a popular subject today and will play a key role in our future. Right now, due to the lack of scientific studies, laws and regulations seem to vary country to country like you said but I’m sure it may be subject to change. Once GMO’s have more research backing them up, I’m sure more and more people will be convinced and we can make some big effects on world hunger.