I can only describe my family one way. Hardworking. My dad wakes up everyday at 5 or 6 am in the morning, works a very physical job as an electrician for around 12 hours. My mom cleans houses and teaches a Zumba class, and still cooks dinner for us when she gets home very exhausted. My older brother attends a 4 year University after graduating from a prestigious private high school. I work very hard everyday to get the best grades possible. My younger brother works very hard to make those around him feel welcomed and helped. The reason why we are a hard working family is because, of course hard work gets you very far in life, but because we are immigrants. My parents figured out pretty soon that people with disadvantages actually receive less help in the United States. My parents always taught me that no one really cares about us, so it is up to us to work hard for what we want. That is why I am hard working, will continue to be hard working, and will make this a valuable lesson to pass on to future generations.  

The most valuable lesson that I have learned from my family is the power of happiness. I asked my parents what is it that I can do to make all of their sacrifices worth it, and they replied with, “find something in life that makes you happy.” At that moment, my life now had a bigger purpose. I thought about all the chapters of my life, and how my life book had just gotten bigger and more empty. Ready to be filled with my journey to happiness. I am extremely lucky to be born into a family that has taught me so many things that make me who I am today. This is my family dynamic, and now you know why I am the way that I am.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Family by David is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Clarissa 6 months ago

Dear David,
    I really enjoyed this because my dad is also an electrician, so I know that it is very hard work. But I also related to this because my family and I are also immigrants, and this reminded me that we shouldn’t let that stop us from achieving our goals. keep up the good writing!

2. Eva 6 months ago

David — This is more of a description of your family than a memoir / short story about them… Can you choose ONE moment from your family’s life that shows how hardworking they are? I would plan to revise BEFORE you submit your final draft of this piece.

3. Saul 7 months ago

Dear David,

I really enjoy reading all your pieces of work you’ve done so far. They are very nice and creative. I like how you talked about your family and how you were open to talk about it because I know people don’t really like to open up and talk about their family situations. I am amaze of how good your work is and I hope you keep this uo and do even better. #Noeyebrowgand

4. Nina 7 months ago

dear David,
    I really appreciate this piece of yours. It really shows a new side to you, and kinda explains why you seem to be happy most of the time. I like the figurative language you use when you write, “I thought about all the chapters of my life, and how my life book had just gotten bigger and more empty. Ready to be filled with my journey to happiness.” It just shows how optimistic yo are, and that you are ready to face anything thrown your way. You deserve so much happiness in your life, because I agree that you are strong and hard working. This shows so much about you, and how you came to be you.

5. Angela 7 months ago

Dear David,

I enjoyed reading your unique writing style and especially the part where you described your life as an open book. It’s really nice to know where you come from and why you do the things you do. This is proving the person you are today will do you best in the long run. I’d also like to join one of your mom’s zumba classes.

6. Aida 7 months ago

Dear David,

All the other memoirs I’ve read are poems. Your piece was different, you wrote it in paragraph forms. I learned a lot about your family and everyone role in the family. I enjoyed your writing. You are a really good writer, keep it up!