There are many psychological treatments for individuals seeking medical attention whether to treat or manage a mental illness. Therapy is one of the common courses of action to take in finding help. The form of therapy involving the arts is very fascinating and involves very beneficial effects to the human body. Now with regards to The mentally ill such as PTSD patients or Alzheimer’s patients, art therapy takes a very interesting path toward healing these individuals.

Bibliotherapy and other types of art therapy along with the many aspects and concepts literature unfolds to constitute meaning to us. This research also contains value within the psychological and scientific community. During the process of my research I found it incredibly noteworthy that many types of therapy supposedly used to tread PTSD patients were not as effective as those patients treated by art therapy of some sort. Typically, PTSD patients or patients seeking help for horrible things done to them in the past feel isolated or not apart of society by whatever trauma hindered their ability to reconnect with society. This plea for help can be met with the one therapy that can help these individuals, Bibliotherapy, which is the use of reading materials for help in solving personal problems or for psychiatric therapy.

“To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life.” –  W. Somerset Maugham

The aspect of fitting or reconnecting back into society fits with the model of how literature can make an individual feel integrated into a books society. This, in turn, makes the individual feel acceptance and involved. The term that will be used is symbolic expression and how this expression brings out or externalizes hidden problems within PTSD patients. When PTSD patients of all sorts of trama try to deal with their emotions by trying art therapy, especially with regards to literature theapy, they are able to emit their problems and externalize them onto the image they see when they read about a character or a story. “[A]rt therapy … considers how the external image and projection of feelings and emotions onto the image appears to be beneficial in recovery as it seeks to address symptoms through the uses of restorative art activity” –Avrahami.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Bibliotherapy and Art Therapy as Methods for helping the Isolated and Mentally Ill. by Judge Thomas is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.