Funny how people talk about change

But go out accepting the oppression that surrounds them

Change isn’t a belief

Change is a actual thing

A thing that can happen

A thing many of us dream of

But change doesn’t happen overnight

To reach change we can’t start from the top

We start from the bottom

Change is like a tree

You plant the seed

You water the seed

You give it light

And you watch it grow

The youth are the seeds

Our history

Our ancestors are the water

That feeds us knowledge

That helps us grow into beautiful trees

The tree reaches for the sun

The sun that shines with hope

Change is the sun

We the people strive and try to reach for that light

That light of hope

That light of change

Change

Change

Change

Change rooted within us

Change

CC BY-SA 4.0 Change Change Change by Yaqui is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Eva 7 months ago

These lines really speak to me — “Change isn’t a belief / Change is a(n) actual thing”. For things to changes, you’ve got to stop doing things the same way. Thank you for sharing!!!

2. Koji 7 months ago

Yaqui,

This is a great poem! I love how you talked about how people can make a difference in the world, but they have to put their mind to it. You can’t just believe in change, you have to become the change if you want to make a difference. I liked this a lot! Keep writing more!

3. Ceceli 7 months ago

Yaqui,
    This is a really powerful poem! With everything going on in our world today it is really important to acknowledge change and how it should be a part of our lives. I love that you say that the youth are like the seeds that are planted because I too believe that the youth of our world are going to be the change. We have identified problems and we will be the ones to create change because as you wrote it is “rooted within us”. I loved your poem keep writing!