There is widespread belief that technology hampers students abilities to their attention spans, as well as impacting how self-sufficient a student is able to be without the use of technology after having been exposed to it for long periods of time. NYTimes composed several surveys to teachers asking how technology has been useful in their class, as well as what has gone wrong with it over the course of a few months. These results and findings from the surveys is not definitive proof that technology helps more than it harms education, or vice versa, but it provides direct insight from teachers who have seen the effect that it can have on students. The constant/rapid use of technology indirectly affects one’s behavioral tendencies as well as the development of people’s brains. The heavy stimulations and rapid shifts in attention work the brain to a point that causes either greater development of the mind, or over-stimulation and causes harm.

NYTimes says that society, in general, often labels the upcoming generations as “being filled with constant distractions, while some see it as a failure of adults to see how these kids process information”. Throughout reviewing the survey, a majority of teachers said that technology has impacted their classrooms positively saying that it has increased their students research skills and is helping to improve their efficiency. However, they also said that digital technologies is already “creating an easily distracted generation with short attention spans”. This is true in today’s world because most of our youth today are highly dependent on their cellular technology to communicate with their relatives, friends, and especially leisure time. In classrooms, students are becoming more and more accustomed to receiving answers without even having to search for reliable sources. This is reducing students skills/ability to research for themselves or know how to cite their resources. The main differing opinions of the teachers was due to the curriculum that the teachers would teach. For example, the math teachers found that trying to incorporate “online math” into their curriculum, it resulted in lower test scores because the students were not able to show work as clearly or efficiently as the students had without the use of technology. Whereas in grammatical courses, the students were able to write out essays more efficiently and the only complaint from the teachers was that they had to make sure the students were citing sources correctly and making sure they were valid. The validity of technology in the classroom is the result of subjectivity as well as bias.

I conducted a survey including about 20 people asking questions pertaining to the topic of allowing technology in the classroom. The age groups I tried to center around focused upon children from the ages in elementary school, those who are in high school, and those who are of college level education or currently in work. The results of my survey is generally showing that a large percentage of people are still wanting to use technology in education today, even while knowing that it is causing many distractions. This shows that a majority of people believe that the benefits in education is outweighing the disadvantages that technology brings to education. The advancements in the world are something to be admired and passed down to the younger generation because times are constantly changing. Things that could have been done better with the survey was to allow more room for the surveyors to express why and to what extent that technology should be used in education. I could have added options as to what subjects would work especially well with technology and which subjects should not incorporate technology at all.

Here is a link to my Hypothesis annotations.

CC BY-SA 4.0 ARE Week 5: Survey’s by Treyvon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.