My Burning Question:

What does it mean to be a fine art photographer?

I know that when I retire, I will get re-involved in photography. Although I have spent a previous career in the photography field it has never been as an actual photographer.

What I know is that I enjoy taking photos and thinking creatively about the photos I take. I know that I have some skills in that area and that I can do this with the simplest of cameras including the camera on my phone. I know my images are not considered “documentary photography” or “stree photography” but they are something else. The term “fine art photography” feels right but I am not sure why.

I also know that as an “artist” I will need to stay focused on my craft and engage in it every day. Artists talk about “passion” and I know I will need to identify my own and pursue it diligently.

What I want to know is how to be sure I keep to this even once I am no longer working full time. Do I make a schedule for myself, partition the chores or other distractions so they do not detract from my pursuit of the passion? How how much is needed and how much is over-thinking it? What I want to know is how to organize my images on the computer so I know where they are and I can find them. I also want to know how to produce professional quality prints of my images. I also want to know what else I can do to stay connected to the photography field such as work in a gallery or book store or give photography classes.

This is are some interesting explanation of fine art photography:

https://digital-photography-school.com/what-is-fine-art-photography-and-how-to-do-it/

“Fine art photography, on the other hand, is first and foremost about the artist. It is not about capturing what the camera sees; it is about capturing what the artist sees. In fine art photography, therefore, the artist uses the camera as one more tool to create a work of art. The camera is used to make an art piece that reveals the vision of the artist and makes a statement of that vision rather than documenting the subject before the lens.”

From: https://photographylife.com/what-is-fine-art-photography

Here’s a photographer’s explanation and some advice on how to proceed:

https://ppmag.com/profiles/thomas-dodd-making-a-career-out-of-fine-art-photography

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Fine Art Photographer by Grace is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Samantha 4 weeks ago

Dear Grace:

I am surprised and delighted by your post “The Fine Art Photographer,” because you know what you like and take time to do what you like and also surprise and I love how you express yourself.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “What I know is that I enjoy taking photos and thinking creatively about the photos I take.” I think this is very nice that you know what you like and what you want to do because is what you like to do and why you take the time to dedicate it to what you like.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I liked the way you express yourself and the way you spend time doing what you like the most and also the way you want to improve the way you take the pictures and learn new things.

Samantha

2. Luz 7 months ago

Dear Grace:

I am amazed with your post, “The Fine Art Photographer,” because it is truly interesting. This is one post I can really relate to. One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is “What I know is that I enjoy taking photos and thinking creatively about the photos I take.” I think this is really fascinating because I myself enjoy taking pictures. The pictures I take might not be as good as I want them to be, but what matters is that I enjoy taking pictures and I am able to spend some time and think about what I can do with the pictures. Another sentence that I liked was “It is not about capturing what the camera sees; it is about capturing what the artist sees.” To me this stood out because in reality this is how it is for every photographer out there. Every photographer out there takes pictures of a moment, something that really captures their attention.