I believe that people living in the US should have the right to vote, the right to sufficient education, and the right to sufficient health. During Reconstruction, this idea was demonstrated when The Freedom Bureau tried to help slaves and provide sufficient health that the government was not. This example shows that people living in the us should have rights because it is possible. A lot of people thought that African american people should not have rights but clearly that is not how history played out. Similar, events in modern times illustrate that most people living in US did not have the rights that they should. In recent history, people in a gay club were shot at for being gay. The lgbt community do not have the same rights as any other american. This event shows that though things have changed but we still work to do. These events share many commonalities because people of different races and sexualities have had trouble attaining their rights and it shows that people living in the us should have rights that fit their needs.

People living in the us should have the right to vote, the right to sufficient education, and the right to sufficient health. People today also need to know that back then people did not have the rights we have today. In conclusion though it took a while for many people living in the US to attain the rights they deserve we made it happen so that goes to show that it is possible for people to attain the rights they deserve.

american flag photo

CC BY-SA 4.0 We Should Have the Rights We Deserve. by Chisom is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Billy 6 months ago

Chisom, though I do agree with you on the point that every American is entitled to equality, I do not understand what you mean when you say that, “people of different races and sexualities have had trouble attaining their rights and it shows that people living in the us should have rights that fit their needs.” If this were the case, then it would not be equality. I have provided you with a link that goes more into this topic and maybe help a bit with your confusion. Thank you for sharing.

https://www.dissentmagazine.org/article/some-problems-of-equality

2. Zach 6 months ago

This is very interesting commentary, Chisom. I agree with what you say in that all people deserve complete equality, but I’m a bit confused on what your definition of equality is. There is only so much that a government can do to prevent a lack of equality, and I think that the American government has actually done a rather good job, although it has taken them a great deal of time to make this happen. In order for true equality to be reached, every person in the country has to accept complete equality as fact, and we have a long way to go before this happens. This is a really interesting online debate I think you’ll appreciate reading through: http://www.debate.org/opinions/is-equality-even-possible. I’ll look forward to your next post.

3. Brooklyn 6 months ago

Chimson, I really enjoyed reading this. I definitely agree that everyone should have the same rights regardless of their race or if they are part of the LGBT community. Everyone should feel equal in this world. We are in 2018 and still trying to figure out if we belong. We have a lot of work to do to succeed in this world and we need to continue to do that until it is achieved.