In a small orchard not too far from here

A little girl emerged timidly from her home every day

To collect water from the fountain in the orchard that people traveled far and wide to attain

But one day, after a terrible storm

The fountain did not yield any water to the poor girl.

She waited

And waited

And waited

And then the fountain yielded water.

The girl went home but did not come back the next day

And the day after

Her mother asked why her daughter was hesistant to return to the fountain

The daughter responded that she had taken too much of its water in her greed

And the fountain punished her

Her mother replied that the storm caused a fracture in the pipe that provided water to the fountain

A fracture that was promptly fixed, her mother assured the child

Still the child did not return

In her greed, she had taken too much water

She would never take the water again

But the tourists still took the water everyday without fail or hesitation

And each day the fountain yielded its contents to the tourists

Why did she get punished?

The mother chided her again that the storm caused the fountain to malfunction

But one night

The girl returned to the fountain for the last time

And took it apart brick by brick

And she threw each brick into a different vast ocean

So she could return all the water she took from the fountain

And more

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Orchard by Nathan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. brandon 5 months ago

Nathan, this poem was deep. The many depths you add to the poem made the writing more thoughtful and enjoyable to read. you we’re able to extract multiple emotions within me, and the style was interesting.

2. Andrea 5 months ago

Nathan,
    Your poem told a beautiful story and reminded me of “The Giving Tree.” I really enjoyed the linear story structure you poem follow. My favorite part was the ending when you said, “The girl returned to the fountain for the last time, And took it apart brick by brick, And she threw each brick into a different vast ocean, So she could return all the water she took from the fountain, And more.” It was a bittersweet moment how the fountain didn’t give her any more water but she decided to do something nice instead of being greedy. Can’t wait to hear more from you.

3. Brooklyn 6 months ago

Nathan, I really enjoyed this poem. The words are very poetic and run very nicely together. It provides great imagery and really tells a story. Keep up the good work!