Oakes-Ash, Rachael. “Skiing vs Snowboarding: Does Anyone Snowboard Anymore?”Traveller, Www.traveler.com, 20 July 2016, via.hypothes.is/http://www.traveller.com.au/skiing-verses-snowboarding-does-anyone-snowboard-anymore-gqa0km.

Durango, The. “Snowboarding Declining in Stats.” Denver Post, 29 Apr. 2016, 1:50 pm, www.denverpost.com/2013/12/26/snowboarding-declining-in-stats-coolness/.

Both of these articles discuses and overall decline in the sales of snowboards as well as snowboard equipment and hardware.

One brings up the fact that advancements made in ski technology have affected the participation in snowboarding.

“Snowboarding’s popularity has slipped across the nation as younger skiers embrace modern twin-tip skis that are easier to turn and more maneuverable”.

“Ski industry insiders attribute the drop in part to ski manufacturers taking some pointers from snowboard makers. Modern skis are wider, with rocker shapes, deep side cuts and other innovations that originated in snowboard designs. Twin-tip skis have curved-up tips and tails.”

“Definitely, skiing has benefited from snowboarding,” said John Agnew, owner of Boarding Haus, a Durango retailer of snowboards and skateboards. “They saw how we were floating around, playing on top of the snow, moving through the trees, and they kind of took notice.”

“It really made the ski manufacturers look into their products more,” she said. “The skis have just really changed, and they’ve made it a lot more fun. They’re almost like snowboards on each foot.” -Rosanne Pitcher, vice president of marketing and sales at Wolf Creek Ski Area

Ski Barn employee Rick Macewen said he’s renting “a lot more skis than snowboards.”

“With the advent of twin-tip skis, a lot more kids are interested in using skis than snowboards,” he said.

There are even stats discussing the percentages of skiers and snowboarders.

“Snowboarding participation fell 4.5 percent during the last five years, while skiing grew 6.7 percent, according to the National Ski Areas Association. Snowboarders fell to 30 percent of resort visitors in 2011-12, down from a peak of 33 percent in 2009-10.”

It has been mentioned that the core market for snowboarding is a generation of individuals who are becoming too old for the sport.

These naysayers of snowboarding claim the original core market growing up and leaving it behind, the rise of better ski technology poached from snowboard technology and the 2008 economic crash have meant the end of the outlier snowboard culture as we knew it.
The amount of snowboard equipment sold is also another telling factor.

“equipment sales and sponsorship opportunities for athletes dipping below their peak numbers of five years ago”.

The article sited Nike discontinuing their snowsports division, alongside the Snowsports Industries America trade group’s report of declining sales of snowboard equipment over the past five years. ( In reference to a New York Times Article)

The conditions of resorts also effects the amount of individuals who choose to snowboard.

But it is important to remember the influence of the multi-year snow drought of California where almost a third of the USA’s snowboarders choose to play. Combine that with the average age of snowboarders (about 27) who are hardly at the peak of their economic career and income and one would expect a decline in purchase.

Statistics from New Zealand

“an article claiming snowboarders have gone from 50 per cent to 30 per cent at Mount Hutt in New Zealand.”

The age of the snowboarding demographic has not changed.

“Burton’s biggest demographic is still males aged, 16-35.”

Quote that challenges my hypothesis.

Snowboarding is far from dead; it’s just morphing and evolving and, like most brands and people who reached an early and heady peak, re-finding its way.

I have found much that supports my opinion as well as some other things that have challenged it as well as shaped it. From what I have researched I believe snowboarding will not disappear but it will remain less popular than skiing and become potentially even less popular.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Fill in the Gaps by Max is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.